[Kinda OT] another.com IPs?
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-21 03:10:19 UTC
Does anyone know the IP addresses used by the webmail company another.com
please?

It's [kinda OT] because they are not spamming as far I can see. My beef
with them is for an entirely different issue.

Bill, piggy.
John Doherty
2004-11-21 20:53:01 UTC
Post by Bill Godfrey
Does anyone know the IP addresses used by the webmail company
another.com please?
Not sure I understand the question, Bill, (or rather, the need for it)
but if this helps, great:

$ host -t a www.another.com
www.another.com has address 217.197.192.207

$ whois 217.197.192.207
[...snip...]
inetnum: 217.197.192.0 - 217.197.192.255
netname: TOT-NCC
[...snip...]
person: Andrew Rook
address: Totalise plc
address: Meridian House
address: Artist Street
address: Leeds
address: LS12 2EW
phone: +44 113 394 9000
phone: +44 113 394 9090
fax-no: +44 113 394 9010
e-mail: ***@totalise.net

Bill Godfrey
2004-11-22 15:33:27 UTC
Post by John Doherty
Not sure I understand the question, Bill, (or rather, the need for it)
www.another.com has address 217.197.192.207
I got that one (and the MX IPs), but I'm more interested in the IPs used to
send email out.

I have a private blocklist which I'd like to put mail sent by another.com
users in.

Bill, petty sod.
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-22 15:43:08 UTC
Post by Bill Godfrey
I got that one (and the MX IPs), but I'm more interested in the IPs used to
send email out.
I have a private blocklist which I'd like to put mail sent by another.com
users in.
I've found rejecting based in MX IP address effective for another.com
in particular.

Vernon Schryver ***@rhyolite.com
John Doherty
2004-11-23 00:59:34 UTC
Post by Bill Godfrey
I got that one (and the MX IPs), but I'm more interested in the IPs
used to send email out.
I have a private blocklist which I'd like to put mail sent by
another.com users in.
Ah, well, that at least makes sense (it seemed unlikely to me that you
couldn't do a DNS lookup yourself :-). But I can't help you there.
Bill, petty sod.
John Doherty
2004-11-23 06:17:10 UTC
and in the end were attacked by five hours of toxic tear gas.

You would literally be trapped in hell with the devil pointing guns at you.

Some of the reasons for 30% of the blame:

o The mandatory documentation of the raid plan was never distributed.

o The warrant they were to serve was also left behind.

"We don't need no stinkin' warrants"

o It is well-documented that David Koresh had left the complex many
times while under the surveillance of as many as eight A.T.F. agents.

o The F.B.I. cut off all utilities and sanitation. Government loudspeakers
blared nonstop with such sounds as jet planes, and the cries of rabbits
being slaughtered. [I have three loving bunnies who have free roam
inside my apartment: the Feds are sick puppies. What would the public
have thought if it were dying cats or dogs?] Tanks fired percussion
grenades. Stadium lights kept the house illuminated around the clock.

Helicopters flew overhead. This does not contribute to trust in the
government negotiators, nor does it help the Koreshians make rational
decisions. Like walking out unarmed before a Federal army, using tanks
from the U.S. Defense Dept. [It should s
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 06:06:42 UTC
it is too late.

6/3/97: Barnes & Noble informs me his book is no longer
available, and that my order is cancelled.

BAM-BAM-BAM
--- --- ---

Let's pause to take a look back at the first and still classic expose of NSA.

: The Puzzle Palace
: Inside the National Security Agency,
: America's most secret intelligence organization
: Author James Bamford, 1983 revision, ISBN 0-14-00.6748-5

Page numbers are from the above 1983 release.

Ready?

P171-172: David Kahn, in a transatlantic phone call, reluctantly agreed to
delete a handful of paragraphs dealing with the most sensitive subject of
all: NSA's relationship with its supersecret British partner, GCHQ. "The
two agencies exchange personnel on a temporary basis... A similar but much
smaller liaison program is maintained with Canada and Australia."

P399: After two years of compromising and negotiating, the BRUSA Agreement
was supplemented in 1947 by the five-power UKUSA Agreement, which,
according to one report, established the United States as a first party
to the treaty, and Britain, Canada, and Australia-New Zealand as second
parties.

P391: ...quite likely the most secret agreement ever entered into by the
English-speaking world. Signed in 1947 and known as the UKUSA Agreement,
it brought together under a single umbrella the SIGINT organizations of
the Unit
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 06:18:48 UTC
Well, one day President Truman issued a secret order creating the NSA.

As testified by Library of Congress members on C-SPAN, the names of these
presidential findings change with administrations. They are called variously
Presidential Decision Directives, National Security Council Decision
Directives, Executive Orders, etc.

One might think these special override-the-constitution presidential
directives (which came out of nowhere) would be used for short-term
emergencies.

Wrong: the NSA is now a HUGE intelligence organization, eating billions
and billions and billions and billions of dollars in budgets each year,
and monitoring billions of messages a day.

* "Spying Budget Is Made Public By Mistake", By Tim Weiner
* The New York Times, November 5 1994
*
* By mistake, a Congressional subcommittee has published an unusually
* detailed breakdown of the highly classified "black budget" for United
* States intelligence agencies.
*
* In previously defeating a bill that would have made this information
* public, the White House, CIA and Pentagon argued that revealing the
* secret budget would cause GRAVE DAMAGE to the NATIONAL SECURITY of
* the United States.
*
* $3.1 billion for the CIA
* $10.4 billion for the Army, Navy, Air Force
* and Marines special-operations units
* $13.2 billion for the NSA/NRO/DIA
*
* The only damage done so far is to the
* credibility of those who op
John Doherty
2004-11-23 06:01:31 UTC
Congress
* rammed it through in less than two months, with no substantive hearings.
*
* Literally in the dark of night, without debate, it passed in the house
* by voice vote and two nights later by unanimous consent in the Senate,
* only minutes before adjourning to rush home for their important work:
* campaigning for re-election.

The NSA domestic watch-list is probably already stuffed
full enough to use the complete CALEA capacity.

You can select many more lines for monitoring than actually end up active
at the same time. The effect is indistinguishable from a MUCH larger
monitoring capacity.

Even greater when the software programmatically decides (at the FBI end) which
conversations to continue listening to.

I'm sure law-enforcement will be able to dynamically configure their
connection to the phone companies' networks.

And probably cheat to use ECHELON to direct this programmatic control,
yielding no effective monitoring limit for domestic law-enforcement, and
domestic political control.

Law enforcement has absolutely no need for the Digital Telephony Act except
to give them their own access terminals and PRETEND there is a firewall
between
John Doherty
2004-11-23 08:57:38 UTC
User John Doherty <***@nowhere.null.not> has cancelled <***@dupree.null.not> with AutoNews V1.68.

done:

o Select all traffic.

o Exclude commonplace traffic, such as mailing lists.
example: FROM <***@greatcircle.com>
This is done by selecting keywords that match against the routing
information in the email header: who it came from, who it is going to.
The phone analogy is recipient and originating phone numbers.
This cuts down on "noise". "Secret Power" gave examples of this too.

o Search all traffic for a set of keywords that are found (tuned) over
time to have the best results. SOME of the ones I used:

first day
last day
resign
new job
resume
interview
drug test

It's ironic that drug testing of employees is so wide-spread that it can
be used to pick out people looking for new jobs.

o Further exclusion logic (keywords) to isolate the meaning of the
keyword 'resume' to mean job history. Also, UK people say 'CV'.
Example: do NOT allow a sentence fragment like 'resume playing'
to trigger "resume condition" inclusion.

That's how it is done.

I then sit at a terminal and page through a
summary of the results, looking for 'hits'.

That's how DICTIONARY works too.

* The Puzzle Palace, Author James Bamford, 1983 revision
*
* P496-497: You would put in a whole slew of keywords.
* You flip through the results.

And it's damn effective.

I could pick needles out of a haystack. I could find a 16-line Risk Management
report
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:14:15 UTC
NewsPro/3.5.1 user John Doherty <***@nowhere.null.not> cancels <***@dupree.null.not>

Thomas C. Reed, Director of the Pentagon's Telecommunications,
Command and Control System, referring to domestic intercity telephone
microwave radio trunks, said in 1975, "Modern computer techniques make
it possible to sort through that traffic and find target conversations
easily."

p126-127: Since the wiretap law barred the Bureau of Narcotics and
Dangerous Drugs from installing a tap on New York City's Grand Central
Station pay phones, bureau head John Ingersoll asked the NSA for help.

Within a few months the spy agency was sorting through all the
conversations it was already acquiring for general intelligence
purposes.

Of course, the technicians were required to acquire, monitor, and
discard a large number of calls made by people with no connection
with the cocaine business in South American cities.

But so pleased was Mr. Ingersoll with the tips he was getting from the
dragnet monitoring that he ultimately persuaded the NSA to monitor
simultaneously nineteen other U.S. communication hubs.

]

* "Project L.U.C.I.D.", continued...
*
* Fort Meade is the hub of an information gathering octopus whose tentacles
* reach out to the four corners of the earth.
*
* The principal means of communicating this information is by the National
* Aeronautical and Space Administration (NASA) satellite communications
* system, which most people erroneously think exists prima
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:45:21 UTC
John Doherty <***@nowhere.null.not> cancels <***@dupree.null.not> from Direct Read News v2.80

get for
* their own 'official use'. Federal and state officials now have the power
* to seize your business, home, bank account, records and personal property,
* all without indictment, hearing, or trial. Everything you have can be
* taken away at the whim of one or two federal or state officials operating
* in secret."
*
* The so-called War on Drugs, the Congressman continued, "has been
* perverted too often into a series of frontal attacks on basic
* American constitutional guarantees --- including due process,
* the presumption of innocence, and the right to own and enjoy
* private property."

----

* 2 Customs Agents are Facing Charges in Kidnapping Case
* by David Kocieniewski, The New York Times, 1996
*
* Two United States Customs inspectors have been charged with kidnapping
* and beating someone they suspected was a drug dealer last year while
* trying to rob him of cash and cocaine, Federal prosecutors said.
*
* Three men charged in all put on bullet-proof vests and police badges,
* according to the complaint, and stopped the victim after identifying
* themselves as Federal agents. The Federal agents then beat the man,
* handcuffed him, forced him into their car and drove off, witnesses
* said.
*
* The victim, whom Federal officials refuse to identify, dashed from the
* car when it stopped at an intersection and persuaded a motorist to take
* him to a police station.

Wow. People seeking sanctuary from Federal thugs in the local police station.

They thought the person had 220 pounds of cocaine.

A corrupt justice system from the U.S. Attorney General
all the way down to the lowest individual agents.

We're becoming more like Mexico every year.

----

* Internet posting...
*
* Joe Pinson
* 30 years old, MEDICAL MARIJUANA user.
* FIVE YEARS MANDATORY MINIMUM, FIRST OFFENSE.
*
* Mr. Pinson was a part-time bus driver for the Jewish Hospital before
* his arres
John Doherty
2004-11-23 11:41:02 UTC
Fidolook delete: <***@dupree.null.not>

JobTalk is the miscellaneous feedback report.

Usually no direct sender/recipient action is taken.

This JobTalk Report is dedicated to "resume hits", or people who in one
fashion or another indicate they are or might leave the Firm.

The last entry, "Firstname Lastname #13" is a "Security Incident Light"
because he is leaving the firm and has started to transmit code he has
labelled "Copyright Firstname Lastname #13" out of the Firm.
Notify his manager...

The people are:

Firstname Lastname #1
Firstname Lastname #2
Firstname Lastname #3
Firstname Lastname #4
Firstname Lastname #5
Firstname Lastname #6
Firstname Lastname #7
Firstname Lastname #8
Firstname Lastname #9
Firstname Lastname #10
Firstname Lastname #11
Firstname Lastname #12
Firstname Lastname #13

Prepared by Guy on N/NN/NN.

Person #1
: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
: File: <snip> Size: 1,893 Date: N/NN/NN
: from <Mary lastname>
: rcpt <Cathy lastname>
: Subject: re: fw: humor -forwarded -reply
: Hey Cathy-
: Okay so far. I'm thinking of changing my job. I'm interviewing with
: Morgan Stanley soon.
: [snip]
: miss you,
: Mary
: @@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
: File: <snip> Size: 1,968 Date: N/NN/NN
: from <Mary lastname>
: rcpt <Cathy lastname>
: Subject: re: ?
: You're doing fine I'll bet. Myself: I am going to switch jobs again.
: A better offer was given to me by Morgan Stanley, and I'm
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 10:50:53 UTC
Article <fwv2cc$***@calcite.rhyolite.com> cancelled by ***@calcite.rhyolite.com (Vernon Schryver)

set of keywords for a period of time
and, if they find they are getting too much 'junk', they can change some
words to get a different selection of traffic.
The Dictionary Manager administers the sets of keywords in the Dictionary
computers, adding, amending and deleting as required.
This is the person who adds the new keyword for the watch list, deletes a
keyword from another because it is not triggering interesting messages,
or adds a 'but not *****' to a category because it has been receiving too
many irrelevant messages and a lot of them contain that word.
Wow, people whose only job is to edit the keywords.

What a cushy job!

What I can imagine accomplishing with billions of dollars of support, instead
of just little ol' me doing everything, is a truly nightmarish vision.

There's more.

The FBI Investigations
--- --- --------------

At the s
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 09:22:50 UTC
User ***@calcite.rhyolite.com (Vernon Schryver) has cancelled <fwv2cc$***@calcite.rhyolite.com> with AutoNews V2.14.

an affidavit saying the pictures were taken for the course
* and were consistent with the assignment.
*
* After his arrest, Mr. Feuer was ordered not to have contact with his
* daughter and could not stay at his home while the prosecution's
* investigation continued.
*
* The order was lifted last April, but David Ruhnke, Mr. Feuer's lawyer,
* said "It's really difficult to overstate what a nightmare this has
* been for him."
*
* Mr. Ruhnke further complained that the judge revealed Mr. Feuer's name
* in court papers while he was still making motions to dismiss the case,
* to protect the girl.

Parents charged with child pornography for taking photos of their children.

Thought Police.

----

We netizens are rightfully paranoid of the
American government, because it has no scruples.

What the FBI did to photographer Jock Sturges was criminal.

Excerpt from 'TO: A Journal of Poetry, Prose + the Visual Arts', Summer 1992:

* Hounded by the Federal Bureau of Investigation in a bizarre witch-hunt
* at an expense to the taxpayers of over a million dollars, Sturges had
* survived an attempt to destroy his life and his work and was now
* countersuing the agency.
*
* Recapitulated briefly, Sturges, who's based in San Francisco, has for
* years been photographing young people whose families practice nudity.
*
* He's done so with his subjects' permission, as well as that of their
* parents, who often app
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 08:39:28 UTC
This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

important.
New Zealand people are quite unhappy at their place within ECHELON.

Buy this book: "Spyworld: Inside the Canadian and American Intelligence
Establishments" By Mike Frost [NSA trained sigint person] and Michel
Gratton, Toronto Doubleday 1994.

Mr. Frost describes missions in the U.S. where he was trained by the NSA
to handle domestic jobs that would be illegal for the NSA.

These books are quite damning, in a heavily documented way.

This is an AMAZINGLY COMPREHENSIVE BOOK: buy it!

"Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996

Buy this book: "The Secret War Against the Jews", Authors: John Loftus and
Mark Aarons, ISBN 0-312-11057-X, 1994. Don't let the title throw you: the
authors spoke with a great many intelligence people, and cleverly probed
NSA/CIA/FBI by submitting items for publication approval, and when they
censored something... Bingo.

Because of the Catch-22 situation, the NSA gave up trying to censor many
books, since it can be used to confirm questions they would otherwise have
refused to answer.

The other books referenced within are also suggested reading.
I have sometimes edited for brevity the excerpts, especially
my newspaper clippings of stories flying by.

If I have any news st
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 12:20:33 UTC
Article <fwv2cc$***@calcite.rhyolite.com> cancelled by ***@calcite.rhyolite.com (Vernon Schryver)

"It is technically possible for the Government to read such
! messages, but it would be insane for it to do so. It would be an
! extraordinarily expensive undertaking and would require a massive
! increase in computer power."

Probably since noone believed that, they admitted it, and said why they
needed to decrypt in real-time:

# Encryption and Law Enforcement
#
# Dorothy E. Denning
# Georgetown University
#
# February 21, 1994
#
# To implement lawful interceptions of encrypted communications, they
# need a real-time or near real-time decryption capability in order
# to keep up with the traffic and prevent potential acts of violence.
# Since there can be hundreds of calls a day on a tapped line, any
# solution that imposes a high overhead per call is impractical.

And if uncrackable crypto were in widespread use within the U.S., the
FBI would demand that it be outlawed. For 'public safety and national
security'.

: * "Above the Law"
: * ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
: * by David Burnham
: *
: * The suspicion that the government might one day try to outlaw any
: * encryption device which did not provide easy government access was
: * reinforced by comments made by FBI Director Freeh at a
John Doherty
2004-11-23 11:09:33 UTC
As FBI director Louis Freeh said: "We are at a crossroads."

Indeed we are.

Netscape has had to ink a deal with a German crypto company.
Sun has arranged a third-party deal in Europe too.
RSA has announced similar plans.

It is estimated the U.S. crypto companies and employees will lose four billion
dollars by the year 2000.

But as you know, there is a larger concern too.

The level of our nakedness before the
government's massive surveillance systems.

* Privacy: Experience, Understanding, Expression
* by Orlo Strunk, Jr., 1982, ISBN 0-8191-2688-8
*
* I make decisions and commitments on the basis of my own inner subjective
* feelings --- not regarding popular opinion or the requirements of social
* role very much. I tend to keep the nature of my personal relationships
* very private --- I don't bring my family life, love life, etc into public
* view.
*
* When I invite others into my home for social occasions, it means an offer
* of great intimacy to me and is not a casual event to be taken lightly. My
* possessions and living area are private to me --- that is, very personal.
* I feel offended when I find someone has been handling them or looking at
* them without invitation.
*
* I am often offended by information requested of me by government, school,
* employer: identification numbers, financial history, marital status, age.
*
* The right to so much information seems questionable to me, and I feel I
* am being asked to reveal very personal things about myself in doing so.
*
* This always seems to me to represent a lack of respect for personal privacy.

How quaint, to want privacy.

Our privacy has been fading
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:45:27 UTC
I thought I'd let y'all decide for yourselves. ---guy
First, I am having a real bad day. I am dealing with it well though.
In fact I admire myself for it. In the past several weeks I've begun
to respect myself highly for putting up with all the obstacles and
bullshit I run into EVERY*FUCKING*DAY. 99% of all other people don't
have my strength and will. Which is why people fear me or find me
threatening.
I've got an employee who is a totally useless shit, whines, talks
about me when I'm not there, stabs me in the back, etc. I should
have fired him when I had the chance.
[snip]
Upper management is like a den of vipers.
[snip]
Don't bring up guns again at a party. Most people here in NY are
fucking liberals and would throw the rest of us in deep dungeons.
Everytime I've said I'm pro-gun I'm treated like a criminal even
though I LEGALLY own one.
***************** END OF JOBTALK EXCERPT *********************************

There was lots and lots of drinking/sex traffic.

: Did I tell you I slept with Fred on Christmas Eve!!!
:
: After work we had a couple bottles of red wine, and went to the karoke pub!!
: Anyway, after spending the evening there, I was hammered. I drank tons.
: After the last dance he dragged me outside and was trying to shag me
: against a car!!! I wasn't too impressed by that.
:
: I can't resist him though. We went to his friends house and
John Doherty
2004-11-23 09:05:59 UTC
making sure it can fully identify and control its slaves?
*
* ************ V *****************
* DEATH TO THE NEW WORLD ORDER
* **********************************
* Dr. Linda Thompson
* Attorney at Law
* Chairman, American Justice Federation
* Internet: ***@iquest.net

HOW INCREDIBLY CHEESEY OF OUR GOVERNMENT!

"YOU GO, GIRL":

* Dr. Linda Thompson, continued:
*
* They claim that because the Alabama legislature has required driver's
* licenses, but left it up to the Department of Public Safety to
* "promulgate the rules," that the Alabama Department of Public Safety is
* free to write rules that require us to be fingerprinted and have our
* information stored in a bar code and they are planning to REQUIRE THIS.
* Public comments must be received before JULY 8th! (Phone numbers,
* addresses are below)
*
* They assure us that fingerprinting us "won't be messy" because
* fingerprints will be scanned "electronically" (no ink) and the
* fingerprints will "O
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:42:48 UTC
*
* Developed jointly by Sandia Imaging and Canon USA, the VIVID 2000's
* optical card encoding module incorporates Canon's Society for
* Interchange of Optical Cards (SIOC) optical card technology, thus
* enabling single, one-pass encoding. [it's a color card printer]

Is it just a sophisticated photo-ID, or is it a Universal Biometric Card?

* Sandia has combined its exclusive DataGlyphs portable database software
* and secure card printing technologies with Fingerscan's three
* dimensional fingerprint imaging capabilities to provide a complete
* secure card solution using biometric data.
*
* The innovations of this technology can benefit banking and financial
* institutions, national welfare, benefits and immigration programs. In
* recent contracts, technology from Fingerscan has replaced traditional
* password systems at the White House and at the U.S. Strategic Air Command.
*
* Fingerscan, an Identix company, provides biometric identification in
* the form of a three dimensional scan of a fingerprint, captured when a
* finger is held against a Fingerscan device, a self-contained terminal
* that stores finger records, keeps a log of transactions and interacts
* with other devices.
*
* The terminal works by mapping, recording and storing data contained in
* a 3-D scan of various dimensions of the entire finger - including skin
* patterns and reflections and blood flow - for subsequent comparison.

Oh my gawd, a Universal Biometric Card!

What losers are getting one?

* Sandia and Coms21, currently engaged in an agreement to support the
* People's Republic of China's driver license and national ID card
* program, have partnered to create a fraud-proof solution for on-the-spot
* positive identification of card bearers.
*
* This c
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:20:21 UTC
ethics or a tradition of respect
for Parliament or civil liberties in their home countries.

The opposite seems to be true: that anything goes as long as you do not
get caught. Secrecy not only permits but encourages questionable operations.

Three observations need to be made about the immense spying capability
provided by the ECHELON system.

The first is that the magnitude of the global network is a product of
decades of intense Cold War activity. Yet with the end of the Cold War
it has not been demobilized and budgets have not been significantly cut.

Indeed the network has grown in power and reach. Yet the public
justifications, for example that 'economic intelligence is now more
important', do not even begin to explain why this huge spy system
should be maintained. In the early 1980s the Cold War rhetoric was
extreme and global war was seriously discussed and planned for.

In the 1990s, the threat of global war has all but disappeared and
none of the allies faces the remotest serious military threat.

The second point about the ECHELON capabilities is that large parts of the
system, while hiding behind the Cold War for their justification, were
never primarily about the Cold War at all.

The UKUSA alliance did mount massive operations against the Soviet Union
and other 'communists', but other elements of the worldwide system, such
as the interception of Intelsat communications, microwave networks and
many regional satellites, were not aimed primarily at the Russians, the
Iraqis or the North Koreans.

Then, and now, they are targeting groups which do not pose any physical
threat to the UKUSA allies at all.

But they are ideal to use against political opponents, economic competitors,
countries where the allies may want to gain some advantage (especially
access to cheap resources) and administrations (like Nicaragua's Sandinist
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:09:18 UTC
Einstein.

Operations research is a difficult discipline --- I certainly don't understand
it --- but when it was desperately needed during World War II, the U.S. Dept.
of War went for it gung-ho, rightfully. Signals intelligence (SIGINT) is the
first step...the NSA grew out of these wartime operations research efforts.

To seek out information from noise, then act on the information.

Target accuracy for precision high altitude bombing requires
a complex feedback mechanism to control deployment (pre-GPS WW II).

* My dad:
*
* Norden bombsights revolutionized aerial bombing.
*
* They were so accurate we stopped putting explosives
* in the bombs and just aimed for people.

Communications, Command and Control. The above wasn't really the best
example of OR, but I did get to quote my dad again. ;-)

* "The Future of War - Power, Technology, and American World Dominance in
* the 21st Century", by George & Meredith Friedman, 1996, ISBN 0-517-70403-X
*
* A discipline named operations research had begun to develop prior to World
* War II that aspired to use quantitative methodologies to develop
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:07:46 UTC
In 1993 alone the department took in $556 million, twenty times more
* than it did when the program began in 1985.

And what were some of the reasons of the dramatic
increase in forfeitures between 1985 and 1993?

What caused it to increase by more than a MAGNITUDE?

* "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
*
* In June 1989, the Deputy Attorney General ordered the nation's U.S.
* attorneys to "take all possible actions" on forfeitures, even if it meant
* dropping other matters. "You will be expected to divert personnel from
* other activities."
*
* One year later, the Attorney General himself warned the U.S. attorneys
* that the Justice Department had fallen far behind its budget projection
* in the collection of assets. "We must significantly increase production
* to reach our budget target... Failure to achieve the $470 million
* projection would expose the Department's forfeiture program to criticism
* and undermine confidence in our budget projections. Every effort must be
* made to increase forfeiture income during the remaining three months of
* fiscal year 1990."
*
* In addition, forfeiture activities affect how many federal prosecutors
* will be allocated to each U.S. Attorney by the Justice Department.
[snip]
*
* Says Senator Henry J. Hyde: "The more they seize, the more they get for
John Doherty
2004-11-23 11:33:25 UTC
is shown here because I got
tired re-writing the words so it's not literally their traffic anymore.

In email he sounded like a major flake. In person he sounded normal.

***************** BEGIN OF JOBTALK EXCERPT *******************************

An oddity: a Xxxxx Yyyyyyy is getting stressed out by his area's upcoming
personnel cuts; he's made a presentation to Mr. Cheese for project ideas
that might avoid him being cut. This stress is normal, but suddenly talk
about him being a gun-nut came up. It doesn't appear to be a problem, but
Upper management
John Doherty
2004-11-23 09:32:34 UTC
* Internet: ***@iquest.net

HOW INCREDIBLY CHEESEY OF OUR GOVERNMENT!

"YOU GO, GIRL":

* Dr. Linda Thompson, continued:
*
* They claim that because the Alabama legislature has required driver's
* licenses, but left it up to the Department of Public Safety to
* "promulgate the rules," that the Alabama Department of Public Safety is
* free to write rules that require us to be fingerprinted and have our
* information stored in a bar code and they are planning to REQUIRE THIS.
* Public comments must be received before JULY 8th! (Phone numbers,
* addresses are below)
*
* They assure us that fingerprinting us "won't be messy" because
* fingerprints will be scanned "electronically" (no ink) and the
* fingerprints will "ONLY" be stored in a master computer at police
* headquarters. Gee, doesn't that make you feel warm and fuzzy all
* over? It's okay for them to rape us of our rights TO BE FREE OF
* UNREASONABLE SEARCHES and to BE FREE OF UNREASONABLE SEIZURES, and our
* right to PRIVACY, as long as they are neat about it, eh?
*
* Your PRIVATE INFORMATION will be stored in the bar code on your
* driver's license and in the police computer, too.
*
* You DO know that ANY federal agency, including the IRS, and FBI, and
* ANY police agency can ALSO access that big computer database, too, don't
* you?
[
Charles R. Smith, SOFTWAR, http://www.us.net/softwar:
Department of Motor Vehicle computer systems are required to be up and
available 24 hours a day for access by the FBI's National Crime
Information Center (NCIC). This is the one used by all local police
in their cars when they pull you over.
]
* Originally the government told us that the law requiring us to get a
* driver's licenses was to "protect" us, to make sure people could drive.
*
* Now we know better. For example, as long as the g
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:16:54 UTC
Control Act and the International Traffic in Arms Regulations.
: Any disputes regarding the decision to designate or
: redesignate shall be resolved by the President."
:
: WILLIAM J. CLINTON 11/15/96
:
: 1 if by land, 2 if by sea. Paul Revere - encryption 1775
:
: Charles R. Smith
: SOFTWAR
: http://www.us.net/softwar

The U.S. Constitution is in tatters, disappearing piece-by-piece,
emasculated by politicians constantly beating drums of War for
"Law & Order".

The NSA Admits
--- --- ------

Ready?

Let's start out with what the NSA will admit. (extra capitalization is mine)

* Court Says U.S. Spy Agency Can Tap Overseas Messages
* By David Burnham, The New York Times, 1982
*
* Washington, Nov 6 --- A Federal appeals court has ruled that the National
* Security Agency may lawfully intercept messages between United States
* citizens and people overseas, even if there is no cause to believe they
* Americans are foreign agents, and then provide summaries of these messages
* to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
*
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:28:49 UTC
-------- -- ----- ------- -----

Another BIZARRE hacker witch-hunt.

See http://www.2600.com for this story.

There are other wars too.

Against pornography.

* "Judge Says Military Bases Can Sell Sex Material"
* By John Sullivan, The New York Times, January 23, 1997
*
* A Federal judge struck down the Military Honor and Decency Act of 1996,
* which Congress described as a law promoting "honor, commitment and
* courage" among American troops.
*
* Playboy and Penthouse will continue to be sold at Military bases.

# "Pornography and Laughter", The New York Times, undated
#
# Most bold new ideas in Government circles are either ignored or shuffled
# off into the bureaucratic process never to reappear, but once in a while
# a suggestion is simply laughed out of existence.
#
# The other day, President Reagan was meeting with senior staff members at
# the White House, and the recent report by Attorney General Edwin Meese's
# Commission on Pornography came up, according to one of the participants.
#
# The commission majority had concluded that exposure to pornography "bears
# some causal relationship to the level of sexual violence, sexual coercion
# or unwanted sexual aggression," and Patrick J. Buchanan,
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:14:33 UTC
to appropriate members -- for example, CIA information
would have to go to the Intelligence Committee.

But the White House said it would veto the entire bill
over that provision. In a written statement, it said
the whistle-blower measure would usurp "the president's
constitutional authority to protect national security
and other privileged information."

National security means keeping Congress dumbed-down:

* "Secret Pentagon Intelligence Unit is Disclosed"
* By Raymond Bonner, The New York Times, May 11, 1983
*
* Because the Pentagon was dissatisfied with the intelligence it was getting
* from the CIA, the new unit 'Army Intelligence Support Activity' was set up.
*
* It is suspected that the secret group was used to get around Congressional
* limits of 55 military advisors in El Salvador.
*
* The Congressional intelligence committees "stumbled on" the unit's
* existence after it was reported in an article in The Boston Globe.

The National Security Agency will even attack freedom of the press: never
forget that they were the lead agen
John Doherty
2004-11-23 09:06:17 UTC
put into the exclusion logic. Don't bother.

Of course, if you are Cypherpunk Tim May (or his wife), all your traffic
--- including phone calls --- gets its own daily summary file regardless
of content.

That's what I did (for company Internet traffic) when activities made it
prudent to put someone on the individual 'watch list'.
(For example, "Bob Brain".)

----

Then there was a manager under heavy stress, who was pissed at top management,
knew his department had a good chance of getting cut in the next several
months, then the talk turned to guns...

This was a very long diatribe; only a little is shown here because I got

John Doherty
2004-11-23 09:39:20 UTC
Lara
Post by Bill Godfrey
[snip]
Lara,
I've been hoping for those progs but they hadn't arrived. Can you
check my email address?
This will be mega brownie points for me to get it working so fast.
Thanks,
Roger
The first one is where an ex-worker ("Dumb") asks a current employee for
something proprietary, in this case written by the ex-co-worker, and the
current employee ("Dumber") gives it to them.

It happened again and again and again at all sites I've monitored.

They fired her.

One of the more unusual Dumb-and-Dumber incidents was when a new hiree who
was quite happy with her new job - told all her friends in email - then sent
an email "Subject: For your eyes only" into dttus.com, with an Excel
spreadsheet attached.

It contained detailed compensation numbers for an entire trading desk.

Technically it wasn't a Dumb-and-Dumber, more like a Dumber-to-Luckless,
because the recipient didn't request it.

Anyway, they fired her.

And Deloitte & Touche fired the recipient!!!
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:05:13 UTC
o The NSA can listen in on all American citizens' border-crossing
communications of any sort without a warrant or any other court
procedure, and effectively distribute that information to any and
all local law-enforcement agencies. And foreign governments.

Loss of Fourth Amendment rights.

Not even discussed with the American public.

Not even debated by our elected representatives.

o Domestic law enforcement agencies can request, receive, and widely
disseminate this information without any laws interfering. A major
blurring of the lines between Military and civilian control.

o Requests for political reasons are acceptable. (last paragraph)

o The NSA uses a huge number of computers to listen for "key words"
on "watch lists" for ALL border crossing traffic, including voice
conversations. That means in 1975 they could convert voice to text,
then do keyword searches against it. It's 1997 now.

Just how did United States citizens lose these Fourth Ame
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:15:22 UTC
rights. Poof they're gone.

o Congressional oversite is weak.

Such a special court should be subject to the
highest standard of continual scrutiny: it is not.

! The New York Times, December 29, 19??, by David Burnham
!
! Because the National Security Agency is actively involved in the
! design [of Key Recovery cryptography], the agency will have the
! technical ability to decipher the messages.
!
! Walter G. Deeley, NSA deputy director for communications security
! said, "Another important safeguard to the privacy of communications
! was the continuous review of NSA's activities by the Senate and House
! intelligence committees."

Congressional oversite in real-time was non-existent.

Remember Ronald "I am a Contra" Reagan?

# U.S. Department of Justice, Federal Bureau of Investigation, March 13, 1987
#
# Dear [Guy],
#
# Your letter of February 25th in which you inquired about the
# association between Mr. Frank Varelli and the FBI has been received.
#
# An internal FBI inquiry is currently ongoing into the activities of
# an Agent associated with Mr. Varelli who left the FBI following an earlier
# administrative inquiry. For that reason, it would be premature at this
# point to respond to any questions concerning the matter.
#
# Sincerely,
#
# William M. Baker
# Assistant Director
# Office of Congressional and Public Affairs
#
# Bicentennial of the United States Constitution (1787-1987)

* [NJ] The Star-Ledger, Friday, January 29, 1988
*
* The documents, released Wednesday, showed that the original target of the
* FBI probe was CISPES, but that the investigation broadened to include
* more than 100 other groups that opp
John Doherty
2004-11-23 11:20:17 UTC
* when it was printed in the U.S. by LtCol Archibald E. Robert's Bulletin,
* the newsletter of the highly respected Committee to Restore the Constitu-
* tion (P.O. Box 986, Fort Collins, Colorado 80522).
*
* The article caused a flurry of activity and a round of vigorous denials,
* admissions, coverups, and more denials by Australian political leaders.
*
* The article contends that (1) America's National Security Agency (NSA)
* is the world surveillance headquarters, and (2) Australia has it's own
* secret "computer center", linked with the NSA via satellite, which
* illegally watches over Australia's citizenry.

Article snippets... capitalization by the original authors...

* On a fateful fall day in America, on November 4th, 1952, a new United
* States government agency quietly was brought into existence through
* presidential decree.
*
* The birth of the National Security Agency on that day so long ago
* heralded the beginning of the world's most sophisticated and all
* encompassing surveillance system, and the beginnings of the greatest
* threat to individual liberty and freedom not only in Australia, but
* the entire planet will ever see.
*
* The NSA grew out of the post war "Signals Intelligence" section of the
* U.S. War Department. It is unique amongst government organizations in
* America, and indeed most other countries, in that there are NO specified
* or defined limits to its powers.
*
* The NSA can (and does) do just about whatever it wants, whenever, and
* wherever it wants. Although little known in both the U.S. and elsewhere,
* the NSA is quite literally the most powerful organization in the world.
*
* Not limited by any law,
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:58:14 UTC
October 11 1992
#
# "We think there will be a revolution in fingerprinting," said David F.
# Nemecek, a deputy for the FBI's Information Service Division.
#
# The next step is for manufacturers to make a single-finger mobile scanner
# for use in patrol cars. Some FBI cars are expected to get them next year.

$ "The Body As Password", By Ann Davis, Wired Magazine, July 1997
$
$ In October 1995, the Federal Highway Administration awarded a $400,000
$ contract to San Jose State University's College of Engineering to develop
$ standards for a "biometric identifier" on commercial driver's licenses and
$ for use in a centralized national database.

A centralized national database of biometric information for cross-state
driver's licenses, and all individual state driver's license fingerprints
available via the FBI's NCIC.

Once most people are fingerprinted, a cheap (say $50) fingerprint scanner that
attaches a timestamp and government digital signature will be sold for allowing
Internet access to "adult" locations---chat rooms, USENET, WWW sites---and it
will be mandatory. The Chief Justice of the U.S. Supreme Court said as soon
as the "Internet driver's license" is technically feasible, CDA becomes legal.

"Such technology requires Internet users to enter information about
themselves--perhaps an adult identification number or a credit card
number--before they can access certain areas of cyberspace, 929 F. Supp.
824, 845 (ED Pa. 1996), much like a bouncer checks a person's driver's
license before admitting him to a nightclub."

* "Project L.U.C.I.D.", by Texe Marrs, 1996, ISBN 1-884302-02-5
*
* News reports indicate that, like California, practically all of the 50
* states are in the process of installing news systems for drivers
John Doherty
2004-11-23 11:35:49 UTC
will incur the wrath of God.
#
# Initially, the IRS disallowed her claims and child care deductions.
#
# The woman claimed that just because she didn't provide numbers for her
# children did not mean that the children did not exist. An appeals officer
# agreed and overruled the auditor, saying that there was no deficiency
# in the woman's tax return.

----

Here is a more detailed example of how government expands surveillance
(and thus control) in a seemingly never-ending manner...consider this when
talking about a National ID Card:

Is it okay for the government to look at your property while walking by and
if the officer spots marijuana plants growing to get a search warrant?

Of course it is.

* "The Right To Privacy", ISBN 0-679-74434-7, 1997
* By Attorneys Ellen Alderman and Caroline Kennedy
*
* ...then the Supreme Court ruled that if the yard was big enough that "An
* individual may not legitimately demand privacy for activities conducted
* out of doors in fields," the Court wrote, "except in the area immediately
* surrounding the home."
*
* ...then the Supreme Court ruled that a barn sixty yards from a farmhouse
* was too far away from a house to expect privacy.
*
* ...then the Supreme Court ruled that aerial surveillance did not constitute
* a Fourth Amendment search.
*
* ...then the Supreme Court ruled that a "precision aerial mapping camera"
* that was able to capture objects as small as one-half inch in diameter did
* not con
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:02:32 UTC
abuse on the islands, died Friday,
# when a SWAT team burst into his apartment unannounced, looking for drugs.
#
# They misread a floor plan by "an informer."
#
# The same Drug Control Unit was investigated for a death in 1988, and it
# was revealed that their officers routinely FABRICATED INFORMERS to obtain
# search warrants.
#
# The agents chased the 75-year-old minister to his room, then broke through
# his bedroom door...he became so frightened while being handcuffed that he
# began vomiting and collapsed. He died a few minutes later.
#
# The Reverand Accelynne Williams was a scholar who could read Greek and
# Hebrew.

The New York Times, CyberTimes, April 29, 1997

The Police and Civil Liberties

A unanimous Supreme Court affirmed the importance of civil liberties
yesterday when it ruled against exempting ALL drug raids from the Fourth
Amendment's requirement that police executing a search warrant knock and
announce their presence before entering someone's home or hotel room.

The Court's unanimity in the case is a special embarrassment for the Clinton
Administration, which argued that a no-knock entry should routinely be allowed
in drug searches unless the police knew that neither they nor the evidence
would be in danger if they announced their presence.

----

Illegal drugs are a great benefit to drug dealers.

The Drug War is a great benefit for perpetuating
and expanding corrupt Governmental power.

# "Smoke and Mirrors---The War on Drugs and the Politics of Failure"
# By Dan Baum, ISBN 0-316-08412-3, 1997
#
# The War on Drugs made
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 09:17:44 UTC
Act of 1974.

Biometric data on citizens is FAR BEYOND any reason government can give.

Notice how no citizens in any state ever got to vote on such an important
escalation of personal data collection by the government.

Indeed, it seems to be accomplished in the quietest way possible, giving
citizens the least amount of opportunity to choose their fate.

Odd, since tax-payer paid-for government services is what gives them the power.

But elected representatives will do, you say?

Did you hear any of them mention it during campaigning?

Did Alabama elected officials even mention it with their press
release of a new driver's license, despite that being the plan?

No.

What does that tell you?

We need a cabinet-level Privacy Commission,
with the power to intervene nationwide.

Power to protect us little people from fanatical personal data collection.

We are losing it piece by piece.

Who would have thought the United States would
collect fingerprints from all citizens?

Collect biometric information from everyone...
law enforcement's Evil Holy Grail.

* "U.S. Has Plan to Broaden Availability tests of DNA Testing"
* By Fox Butterfield, The New York Times, undated but 1996
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 11:35:21 UTC
tolerance."
#
# "That's ZERO TOLERANCE."
#
# "ZERO TOLERANCE for drug smugglers. ZERO TOLERANCE for drug pushers.
# ZERO TOLERANCE for drugs in the workplace and drugs in school. And
# ZERO TOLERANCE for illegal drugs, period."
#
# "ZERO! ZERO! ZERO!"
#
# "We will REDOUBLE our efforts to put drug criminals behind bars."
#
# "We will only appoint judges who will throw them in jail."

Thank Gawd he didn't become President.

* July Fourth, 1997, C-SPAN Congressional Television
*
* Mark Klaas, father of 12-year-old Polly Klaas, who was murdered by a
* repeat-offender that was paroled from prison, said in support of prevention
* programs: "Building more prisons to fight crime is like building more
* cemeteries to fight the spread of AIDS. It's a bad quick fix. Police
* chiefs across the country support [me] this 4 to 1. Unfortunately, Congress
* can't act "soft" on crime, and is about to pass a very bad bill on
* juvenile crime."

More bizarre distortions in our social fabric due to Zero Tolerance:

6/10/97 MSNBC: California: a ten-year-old girl who reported a classmate
for having a joint was also suspended by the principal, under the school's
Zero Tolerance for drugs policy. Her offense: handling the joint to see if
the other student was kidding her before reporting the other student. The
principal said "too bad, that's what 'Zero Tolerance' means". The little
girl and her mother are shocked. [I am not making these up!!!!!]

6/18/97 NBC News Channel 4 NYC: A career teacher is forced to resign because
she thought her student was kidding about having a baggie of pot. Students
and parents are stunned. The teacher
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 11:51:13 UTC
liaised closely with Australia, Canada, the United Kingdom and the United
States - the closest the government has ever come to talking about the secret
five-nation signals intelligence alliance of which the GCSB is part.

P108
The New Zealand analysts have a high level of contact with the overseas
agencies, including overseas staff training, postings and exchanges. In
the early 1990s the GCSB began conducting its own training courses, teaching
them the special procedures and regulations governing the production of
signals intelligence reports for the UKUSA network.

It is at these courses where the analysts are told about the UKUSA agreement,
which is described by senior staff as the 'foundation stone' of all the
arrangements with the 'partner' agencies.

P110 The GCSB introduces the new trainees to the world of codebreaking by
advising them to read two of the greatest exposes of signals intelligence:
James Bamford's 'The Puzzle Palace' and David Kahn's 'The Code Breakers'.

P22
In 1984, Glen Singleton of the NSA was formally appointed GCSB's Deputy
Director of Policy and Plans. Having an American inside the GCSB serving as
a foreign liaison officer would be one thing: allowing an officer from another
country to direct policy and planning seems extraordinary.

[ Unless you think of the NSA as the New World Order.
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 12:04:50 UTC
Article <fgq4ab%3gn0%***@calcite.rhyolite.com> cancelled from tin [UNIX (HP-UX/B.10.20 (9000/800))]

This new technology significantly streamlines the printing and encoding
* process, making highly secure optical cards more efficient and less
* costly for use as health care cards and in other industries.
*

What losers are
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 11:08:48 UTC
This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

"Law & Order".

The NSA Admits
--- --- ------

Ready?

Let's start out with what the NSA will admit. (extra capitalization is mine)

* Court Says U.S. Spy Agency Can Tap Overseas Messages
* By David Burnham, The New York Times, 1982
*
* Washington, Nov 6 --- A Federal appeals court has ruled that the National
* Security Agency may lawfully intercept messages between United States
* citizens and people overseas, even if there is no cause to believe they
* Americans are foreign agents, and then provide summaries of these messages
* to the Federal Bureau of Investigation.
*
* Because the National Security Agency is among the largest and most
* secretive intelligence agencies and because MILLIONS of electronic messages
* enter and leave the United States each day, lawyers familiar with the
* intelligence agency consider the decision to mark a significant increase in
* the legal authority of the government to keep track of its citizens.
*
* The mission of the NSA is to eavesdrop on electronic messages of foreign
* governments and protect the electronic communications of the United States.
* To accomplish these goals, the agency has SEVERAL THOUSAND listening posts
* around the world and a HUGE bank of computers in its heavily guarded head-
* quarters at Fort George Meade, MD, near Washington.
*
* A Special Senate Intelligence Committee report in 1975 found that the
* computer system functioned like a "GIANT VACUUM CLEANER"
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 12:50:23 UTC
Fidolook delete: <bep8cb$7al6%***@calcite.rhyolite.com>

it's a matter of hysteria to escalate it to the same top category as heroin
and LSD, 'Schedule I Substances'. Even cocaine is only Schedule II.

Late 1996 / early 1997, several states, including California, passed laws
via citizen initiative ballots that legalized marijuana if a doctor prescribes
it. Usually for nausea or weight loss from chemotherapy or AIDS.

A massive Federal and State Drug War hysteria
campaign failed to stop people approving it.

* The New York Times, Oct 3, 1996, San Francisco
* "Skirmish in Anti-Drug War: California vs. 'Doonesbury'", by Tim Golden
*
* There a drug wars, and there are drug wars...
*
* Marching bravely into the cultural swamp where Dan Quayle once bogged
* down in combat with the television single mother Murphy Brown,
* California's Attorney General, Dan Lungren, has taken his fight
* against the medical use of marijuana to Zonker Harris, the laid-back
* hero of the comic strip 'Doonesbury'. Like the former Vice President,
* Mr. Lungren appears to have underestimated his adversaries' capacity
* to make fun of him.
* [snip]
*
* Mr. Lungren raided a marijuana
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 14:08:44 UTC
This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

vile attempts to attack an
individual occurred just a couple years ago, in 1995.

The attack was itself a throwback to the old days of COINTELPRO, (Counter-
Intelligence Program), a massive unconstitutional FBI operation --- one of
it's most abusive ever --- to discredit the politically incorrect.

* Main Justice, by Jim McGee and Brian Duffy, 1996, ISBN 0-684-81135-9
*
* And it was not just the FBI. The CIA, the Pentagon and the National
* Security Agency [Military] had all turned their intelligence-gathering
* capabilities on American citizens.

And who was targeted?

Qubilah Shabazz, second oldest daughter of Malcom X.

* Both Sides in Shabazz Case Say Tapes Prove Their Point
* by Don Terry, The New York Times, April 1995
*
* Ms. Shabazz was indicted on Jan 11 on nine counts of using the telephones
* and travelling across state lines to hire a hit man to kill Mr. Farrakhan.
* Eight of the counts involved taped telephone calls between Ms. Shabazz and
* Mr. Fitzpatrick, a cocaine addict who faces a possible five-year prison
* sentence in an unrelated drug case. [read: blackmailed]
*
* Of the 40 recorded conversations, 38 were initiated by Mr. Fitzpatrick.
* "Most of the conversations during these calls consisted primarily of
* remarks by Mr. Fitzpatrick." said defense lawyer William M. Kunstler.
* [Kunstler was a silvered haired angel even while still on Earth]
*
* The Government had a statement initialed from Ms. Shabazz.
*
* "I jokingly asked Fitzpatrick if he would kill Louis Farrakhan."
*
* The statement was written by two FBI agents, who did not advise her of
* her right to remain silent and have a lawyer present.
*
* Federal officials in Washington and Minneapolis say Ms. Shabazz was
* 'obsessed' with killing Mr. Farra
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 11:14:35 UTC
cancel: <bep8cb$7al6%***@calcite.rhyolite.com> posted from ***@calcite.rhyolite.com (Vernon Schryver)

police systems.

It was set forth in 'The Narc Officer' September/October 1995.

This publication is:

"Official Publication of the International Narcotics Enforcement
Officers Association, Inc."

It proposes tying together all of NSA's disparate systems:

NCIC: National Crime Information Center 2000
IAFIS: Integrated Automated Fingerprint Identification System
NICB: National Instant Criminal Background
NRO: National Reconnaissance Office
National Law Enforcement Telecommunications System Projects Agency
FEMA: Federal Emergency Management Agency
OSI: Office of Special Investigations
NCB: Triple I National Central Bureau
FINCEN: Financial Crimes Enforcement Network
CTC: Counter-Terrorist Center
DIA: Defense Intelligence Agency
LESS: Law Enforcement Satellite System
CDIS: Combined DNA Identification System
INTERPOL: International Criminal Police Organization

..and a slew of other systems, using a biometric number from all of us.

And: that everyone at birth should be issued a b
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 12:27:34 UTC
<daf1ba_3cx0$***@calcite.rhyolite.com> cancelled from NewsWatcher-X 2.2.3b1 by ***@calcite.rhyolite.com (Vernon Schryver)

the State, as determined by the State.
i.e. the antithesis of constitutional democracy

Ironically, it was the United States that built
the ultimate Orwellian surveillance mechanism.

There was no public discussion about it.

And used sham laws: Executive Orders and Congressional legislation.

To create a secret agency and a secret sham court.

Used repeatedly to control lawful domestic political protest.

The Soviet Union and China we were told to fear.

Part 2: On Monitoring and Being Monitored
---- - -- ---------- --- ----- ---------

o On Monitoring
- Driver's Seat
- Five Months Statistics
- The FBI Investigations
- I Can See What You Are Thinking
- Why I Monitor
o On Being Monitored

If you are an ordinary citizen, you may not notice the
INVISIBLE massive spy apparatus until it is too late.

As has already happened repeatedly: the government will use
this National Spying Apparatus to crush political protests,
and monitor the politically incorrect.

In the 1960s, 1970s, 1980s... and the 1990s.

Question:

Why argue against something that would catch crime?

Answer:

ECHELON is so invasive we lose all privacy.
It is infinitely abusable.
It has been abused repeatedly.
CALEA takes us into the abyss.

Would monitoring really turn up that many violations?
Meaning: is it really that effective a mechanism?

Vernon Schryver

Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 12:41:29 UTC
this
* have to do with making the roads safe? Nothing. Licensing isn't about
* "protecting" us from anything, it is about CONTROLLING us. Our
* "servants" have become dictators.
*
* In a FREE COUNTRY, the public servants do not dictate to the people.
* Folks, we ARE NOT FREE.
*
* Remember the lie about Social Security numbers? They were supposedly
* "for our good," too, just to insure that we were signed up in the social
* security program for our retirement in years to come, right? The old
* cards said, "Not for identification purposes." Now, you can't get a
* BANK ACCOUNT without one, and your money and financial transactions are
* reported to goons and thugs at the IRS who are happy to steal money from
* grandmothers. In fact, the IRS can get your bank records WITHOUT YOUR
* PERMISSION.
[
: ftp ftp.fourmilab.ch, cd /pub/kelvin/documents, get unicard.doc
For more than a decade, the United States Internal Revenue Service
has allowed taxpayers with only regular wage income and the
standard deduction to simply sign their return and have the IRS
calculate the tax. With increased reporting of all financial
transactions to the IRS by banks, stockbrokers, mutual funds, real
estate title companies, etc., IRS officials have stated on several
occasions over the last few years that the day when the
overwhelming number of taxpayers could have their taxes cal
John Doherty
2004-11-23 13:36:41 UTC
InterChange (Hydra) cancel: <***@dupree.null.not>

[when or if they ever
declassified them I don't know]. One typically ludicrous cartoon depicts
drunken GIs lounging in the Saudi sand with shapely U.S. servicewomen
dressed in unusual military attire: bras, shorts and high heels.

NOFORN level security for IRAQI cartoons. Clueless autopilot secrecy.

The ultimate in bureaucratic capture:

# "Failures of Leadership on Land Mines", NYT editorial, 6/21/97
#
# Land mines are responsible for killing 10,000 people worldwide each year,
# most of them innocent civilians, including children.
#
# Never before has the momentum to ban all land mines been so strong. A high
# percentage of battlefield casualties among American troops are by mines.
#
# Yet President Clinton and Vice President Gore are meekly yielding to the
# wrongheaded opposition of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, even though they
# claim to support the ban themselves.
#
# Even General Norman Schwarzkopf and pro-military Republican Senators like
# John McCain, Alfonse D'Amato and Chuck Hagel have all endorsed the ban.
#
# America's proud tradition of CIVILIAN CONTROL [a distant memory!] of the
# military gives the President responsibility for making the final decision.
#
# Mr. Clinton is shirking his responsibility.

The Military are in control of ALL KEY POLITICIANS.

They do so via Secrecy and Scary Stories and ECHELON.

# "Covering Up Crimes", By Anthony Lewis, NYT, 5/5/97
#
# A Government official becomes aware that secret information shows
# corruption and criminality in a F
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:29:28 UTC
This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

violation hearing of Ed Cummings for taking batteries out
of a tone dialer.

Not only were they interested, they testified against him!
HERE WE GO AGAIN
1/12/96. In addition to the judge, Northampton County probation officer
Scott Hoke, Secret Service agent Tom Varney, and Haverford Township
detective John Morris were in attendance. Varney and Morris arrived
in the same car.
Tom Varney of the Secret Service then told the judge that he believed
Cummings to be a major threat to society and that he was concerned
because of the upcoming presidential campaign. It was unclear if he
was actually implying that Cummings would somehow be a threat to the
president but the judge and the police listened intently.
This was the first time a Secret Service agent had come to their town.
Varney continued to describe the threatening items that had been found
in Cummings' residence: a copy of The Anarchist's Cookbook, publications
from Loompanix, a mag stripe read head (no electronics) which "could have
been used" to commit fraud, and material thought to be C4 but later
proven not to be. However, Varney said, the fact that it could have been
showed how serious this was. Nobody questioned his logic.
Wow, I'd better throw out my copy of "The Anarchist's Cookbook", eh?.
Oh wait: it w
John Doherty
2004-11-23 13:33:07 UTC
NewsPro/3.5.1 user John Doherty <***@nowhere.null.not> cancels <***@dupree.null.not>

18184 total

His last day was XXXXXX 1996.
Project management of a new XXXXX project is what I'll be
doing at XXXXX XXXXX (a bank from <country> ranked in the top 20).
I'll start by consulting ($$/hour plus 1.5*OT) for TTTTTTTT.
After that we talk about them invoking their right-to-hire clause.
I might make VP. The project is great inasmuch as I'm starting it
from scratch; it's not only not burdened by legacy code, but I
can even pick the hardware. I'm "up" but also worried about the
responsibility.
The application is X risk analysis and XX for investors. It connects
to a front end for a trading system.
I put a lot of working into talking my new boss into me giving the
normal 2 weeks notice at Salomon (they wanted me yesterday), because
my current project is nearing a critical point. But my Salomon boss
said just do a handoff now and leave.
I am upset. I was trying to be professional.
Boy, email is one cheap detective!

Anyway, that seems the full scoop.

---guy

********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

Notice my 'Boy, email is one cheap detective!' observation; Legal had talked
about hiring a private investigator prior to that.

The "perp" not only named his new job, he gave his full job description,
pay rates, and his personal thoughts on matters.
John Doherty
2004-11-23 14:00:26 UTC
Turnpike remove request: <***@dupree.null.not>

77 basis/include/DateEntryPad.h
54 basis/include/DateIOField.h
33 basis/include/DefaultButton.h
63 basis/include/DocLayout.h
1144 basis/lib/base/basis_ios.cc
398 basis/lib/base/AmountFormat.cc
157 basis/lib/base/TemplateField.cc
136 basis/lib/base/AssocArry.cc

Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 11:38:24 UTC
* The Democrats were trying to portray the Republicans as wanting to
* eliminate the constitutional protection against unlawful searches.
*
* Indeed, they cornered the Republicans into saying that the measure
* containing the Fourth Amendment would gut the seizure bill.

Just what is it going to take to restore the U.S. Constitution?

Unlimited unregulated cryptography legislation is a beginning baby-step.

Otherwise it might take another civil war. The NSA will not let go quietly.

Sound over-the-top? Wait until you understand the massive surveillance system
that our government has put in place, just how powerful it is, and how they've
used it repeatedly to control lawful peaceful political protest.

Part 1: Massive Domestic Spying via NSA ECHELON
---- - ------- -------- ------ --- --- -------

o The NSA Admits
o Secret Court
o Wild Conspiracy Theory
o Over the Top
o BAM-BAM-BAM
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:56:43 UTC
John Doherty <***@nowhere.null.not> canceled <***@dupree.null.not>

couple systems, and went home with the Ex-Salomon person and searched
there and took his computer systems. [The case is still pending @6/97]

The code is simple. It's choosing the keyword filtration sequence that's
tricky. I figured out how to determine it in an almost systemic way. Oddly
enough, I needed no keywords for specifically seeking out source code.

So, keyword monitoring is highly effective, I could even cover three feeds,
and, sigh, I should mention that it took well less than 5000 lines of
programming source code for me to implement it.

And I generated two FBI cases.

[
Think of what could happen should the FBI get its implementation of
the CALEA bill. They could go nuts, and say "see, that proves we need
to monitor thousands of phone calls simultaneously".

And into the abyss we go.

There would be no place to hide from the government,
even for lawful peaceful political protest.

Domestic ECHELON must be physically disabled.
]

There's more.

I Can See What You Are Thinking
- --- --- ---- --- --- --------

In the complaint, I breathlessly described being able to see more than just
dry security incidents. The point was germane to my analysis that one of the
reasons the corrupt member of Salomon's Internal Audit department could
seemingly not be punished by anyone was that his job as financial traffic
analysis person made him privy to the most damaging unreported SEC violations
that anyone at Salomon would know about.

If you spot criminal behavior, it is a very personal thing to the employee.

********** begin excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

: I could see not only regular s
John Doherty
2004-11-23 15:00:15 UTC
Messenger-Pro/NewsHound cancel request to <***@dupree.null.not>

companies do for this situation now?

A situation that applies to all company data whether or not it is encrypted.

A situation that has existed since the invention of the computer.

Simple.

You back it up.

Make backups of the key.

You can start by making your own key copy using off-site secure storage backup.

Several authorized people can have a copy of the key, and they
can each use their own password to get access to the key.

The key is backed up not only by being on several different
machines, it is also backed up in the off-line backups for
these machines. After JUST ONE WEEK, you'll have 24 total
copies of the key (3 + 3*7). After the first month: 214 copies.

The government somehow thinks you'll clamor for THEM to backup your key
by giving them a copy of the key, and if you lose all of yours...
contact the Federal Secretary of Lost Keys.

And for this great benefit, they want you to give them Key Recovery
access to your cryptographic key.

We know what Key Recovery means...

By the way, the Government is restricting *communications* products, which
use public key cryptography. BY DEFINITION the SENDER will NEVER expect to
decrypt the tr
Vernon Schryver
2004-11-23 13:01:31 UTC
<cbe6ee%6ft6-***@calcite.rhyolite.com> removed with News Rover 5.4.3

ABC news: the Parks Department wanted a prime piece of land called
"Trail's End". It was owned by a private family. They refused to sell.

The reporter is in the helicopter with the agent who identified marijuana
growing on the property from an identical helicopter fly-over.

The agent said he specializes in that sort of thing, and he was flown
over the property for an evaluation.

He told the other federal agents that he could not determine that there
was any.

The G-MEN flew him over again: "they pressured me to change my evaluation,
and I did, even though I couldn't detect any marijuana. They got me to
say 'maybe I see some for sure'."

A large multi-departmental group of federal and county agents stormed the
house, and shot the male owner to death.

The widow continues to live there.

Before moving in, law enforcement had the property appraised for its value.

Eventually, the county admitted it wanted the property.

This is our Drug War for national security reasons.

The government now says it regrets calling it a Drug War.

Then appointed a retired Military General as Drug Czar.

Drug Czar William Bennett was an active nicotine addict until his first day
of work. The ONLY reason he qui

Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 05:58:58 UTC
new technology, the infiltra-
* tion of political movements deemed radical or violence prone; and the
* stretching of guidelines put in place 20 years ago to restrain yesterday's
* zealots."

Fear, loathing, hysteria, and a massive misdirection of resources:

* At about the same time that the FBI agent was knocking on Mrs. Bernard's
* door, the bureau had 21,000 allegations of savings and loan fraud it was
* unable to investigate, and at least 2,400 inactive financial crime inves-
* tigations awaiting consideration. In the San Diego area, for example,
* lack of available agents meant the FBI would not even consider investi-
* gating bank fraud cases unless they involved losses of at least one
* million dollars.

War #5 - Hackers
--- -- -------

o Secret Service: Harassment of 2600
o Secret Service: Vile Persecution of Ed Cummings
o Secret Service: Harassment of Steve Jackson Games

* The New York Times, CyberTimes, June 20, 1997
*
* Panel Chief Says Computer Attacks Are Sure to Come
*
* By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
*
* WASHINGTON -- It is "only a matter of time" before critical U.S. computer
* systems face major attack, the head of a White House panel on the nation's
* infrastructure systems warned.
*
* Robert Marsh is the head of the President's Commission on Critical
* Infrastructure Protection.

Whatever should we do about those nasty hackers?

Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 08:37:48 UTC
waves of someone in a deep sleep --- or a coma.
*
* He said he had previously complained directly to the Partnership for a
* Drug Free America and they ignored him. They finally pulled the ads.
[snip]
*
* The Heath/Tulane Study of 1974 has been widely sited nationally as
* evidence that marijuana is harmful. One set of Rhesus monkeys began
* to atrophy and die after 90 days of pot smoking.
*
* When Playboy and NORMAL finally received the methodology of the study
* in 1980 after six years of trying, they were stunned.
*
* The Rhesus monkeys had been strapped into a chair and pumped the
* equivalent of 63 Columbian strength joints in "five minutes, through
* gas masks," losing no smoke.
*
* The monkeys were suffocating!

On June 27, 1997 a story broke about a new report showing "heavy marijuana
use makes the same changes in the brain as cocaine and heroin, and it causes
the same withdrawal symptoms in the brain".

Only MSNBC reported it this way: Brian Williams said, "A new preliminary
study shows that cocaine, heroin, ALCOHOL and marijuana all cause similar
changes in the brain over time." But the picture and thrust of the story
was still focusing on marijuana.

What was COMPLETELY MISSING was shown on C-SPAN the previous day, when
Senator Byrd gave an EXTENSIVE presentation showing ALCOHOL WAS THE LEADING
GATEWAY DRUG TO COCAINE AND HEROIN USAGE!

* "The Emperor Wears No Clothes", by Jack Herer, 1992, ISBN 1-878125-00-1
*
* Tobacco smoking kills more people each year than AIDS, heroin, crack,
* cocaine, alcohol, CAR ACCIDENTS, FIRE AND MURDER COMBINED.
*
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 12:28:01 UTC
This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

to protect.

If the FBI targets you, they can get all your phone conversations BEFORE
they are encrypted, and can get your password to access your private
cryptography key.

* "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
* "Keeping Track of the American People: The Unblinking Eye and Giant Ear"
*
* About six times a week, fifty-two weeks a year, a team of highly trained
* FBI agents secretly breaks into a house, office, or warehouse somewhere in
* the United States.
*
* The agents are members of the bureau's Surreptitious Entry Program, and
* their usual mission is to plant a hidden microphone or camera without
* tipping off the people who occupy the targeted structure.
*
* FBI officials refuse to discuss, even in the most general way, the
* operations of these clandestine hit squads.
*
* Use of break-ins has increased six-fold in the last several years.
*
* Furthermore, the FBI has blamed the security industry for making locks
* and alarms more difficult to defeat.
*
* That was the central justification offered by the FBI when a couple of
* years ago it asked the White House for $27 million in public funds to
* pay the
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 08:47:23 UTC
MicroFrank killed <***@newsreader.com> from bill-***@sunny-daventry.invalid (Bill Godfrey)

which they followed,
was letting them burn.

Janet "Barbecue" Reno. Who testified she would do nothing different again.

You want to take "responsibility" for it: then resign.

Law enforcement gun hysteria.

Like a scene from a nightmarish movie [such as Terry Gilliam's Brazil]
the Feds, while poking holes in the building with a tank snout and spraying
dangerous amounts of toxic tear gas, and while knocking down extended areas
of the compound (as shown and commented on by ABC news) with another tank in
the rear, blared 1984 Newspeak over loudspeakers at the hapless victims:

"THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK. REPEAT THIS IS NOT AN ATTACK."

War #3 - Child Pornography
--- -- ----- -----------

"There were children watching this program. They were exposed
to full frontal nudity and irresponsible sexual activity."
---Rep. Tom Coburn (R-OK), criticizing "Schindler's List."

* NYC 1996: The FBI "investigates" ads on the sides of city buses
* for child pornography. The ads are by Calvin Klein.

The FBI is dizzy from bus fumes.

"Child porn" is one of the great "law enforcement concerns" about
cryptography. The FBI has groused that encryption has stymied prosecutions.

Let us take into consideration actions by the government because of
their "law enforcement concerns" on child pornography.

They have raided private homes and seized computer equipment after monitoring
Internet traffic and spotting regular people browsing WWW/USENET clicking on
an article they CAN'T SEE UNTIL THEY CLICK ON IT which contained nude pixels
representing children.

Out of fear that child-molesting child pornographers might encrypt th
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 08:53:47 UTC
article <***@newsreader.com> cancelled by slrn/0.9.5.7 (UNIX)

smash-up at the Union Square Station in NYC.
Even if he had a drug test before his shift, he still would have
had the accident. Non-invasive (eye-hand co-ordination and other)
tests would work better and not shockingly subject us to highly
intrusive poking.

It also doesn't work inasmuch as it has had no affect whatsoever on drugs.

* Main Justice, by Jim McGee and Brian Duffy, 1996, ISBN 0-684-81135-9
*
* The drug war never had a stronger supporter than President George Bush.
*
* He showered the nation's drug warriors with money---nearly tripling the
* overall anti-narcotics budget from $4.3 billion in 1988 to $11.9 billion
* in 1992.
*
* The results were disappointing.
*
* After four years there was more cocaine on the streets than ever.
* Naturally, it was also cheaper than ever.
*
* The overall crime rate was unchanged too.
*
* Inside Main Justice, such numbers are depressing. To those outside the law
* enforcement community, it might have seemed an ironic, even heretical
* notion, but to many of the career lawyers and prosecutors inside Main
* Justice it was an article of faith that solving the nation's drug problem
* could not be accomplished by prosecution and jail sentences alone. These
* career people feel the answer is self-evident: Education, rehabilitation
* and improving the grim lot of most of those prone to drug addiction ought
* to become national priorities.
*
* Said David Margolis, who had supervised the
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 10:47:45 UTC
bill-***@sunny-daventry.invalid (Bill Godfrey) cancels <***@newsreader.com> from Direct Read News v2.80

isolated event?

* The New York Times, May 13, 1997, snipped
* "Police Chief Says Officers Violated Policy in Beating", by Kevin Sack
*
* Atlanta's police chief concedes the videotaped beating of an African-
* American shows it violated departmental rules.
*
* Timmie Sinclair, 27, is a black Atlantan. Five officers surrounded him
* and one Sergeant "repeatedly bludgeoned with a baton" Mr. Sinclair while
* he was being handcuffed, and at least once while the other officers held
* him down on the ground.
*
* Mr. Sinclair was trying to fill a prescription for his sick child,
* became confused by all the roadblocks the Atlanta police setup for
* the annual "Black College Spring Break" weekend, and was attacked
* by the police for trying to get back on the Interstate highway.
*
* Mr Sinclair's wife and two children were in his car with him.

Think that would have happened to a white family during this annual Black
College Spring Break 'Freaknick' police coverage?
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 13:08:46 UTC
down the Senate building's
* steps, Senator Biden with Senator Simpson in tow proclaims: "What's wrong
* with a National ID Card? It's the same tired old arguments against it."

As if sane people shouldn't be paranoid about a National ID Card.

* "New Rules Mean Job-Hunters Need Proof of Identity", The New York Times
*
* Passports, driver's licenses, Social Security cards or birth certificates
* will be allowed to serve as identity papers.
*
* A 1982 proposal to catch illegal aliens by giving American workers
* "counterfeit-proof" identity cards was hooted off the boards as a
* threat to individual liberty.

How bad would a National ID Card be?

Bad. Real bad.

You would be required to carry it at all times.

It's all about surveillance and control.

This section is about the National ID Card, plus deployment of a
mix of surveillance and control techniques for tracking people.

In California a few years back the police kept hassling a black man who liked
to walk around at night to think. Unfortunately, he wasn't white, but liked
to walk around white neighborhoods. [Anyone with detailed info email me.]

He didn't carry id with him: the police arrested him on suspicion of being
a burglar or somesuch. The California Supreme Court threw out the arrest.
Not carrying ID was a primary pa
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 10:35:27 UTC
's Threat to Society"
FYI note: this document's opening quote is from this book.

P122: For the last three decades the NSA has been a frequent and secret
participant in regulatory matters before the Federal Communications
Commission, where important decisions are made that directly affect
the structure of the telephone company, the use of radio airwaves and
the operation of communication satellites.
]

P317: 1962. Now, for the first time, NSA had begun turning its massive ear
inward toward its own citizens. With no laws or legislative charter to
block its path, the ear continued to turn.

P319: The Secret Service, the CIA, the FBI and the DIA submitted entries
for the NSA's watch list.

The names on the various watch lists ranged from members of radical political
groups to celebrities to ordinary citizens involved in protest against their
government.

Included were such well-known figures as Jane Fonda, Joan Baez, Dr. Benjamin
Spock, Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., the Reverand Ralph Abernathy, Black
Panther leader Eldridge Cleaver, and Chicago Seven defendants Abbie Hoffman
and David T. Dellinger.

A frightening side effect of the watch list program was the tendency of most
lists to grow, expanding far beyond their original intent. This multiplier
effect was caused by the inclusion of names of people who came in contact
with those persons and organizations already on the lists.

Because of the NSA's vacuum cleaner approach to intelligence collection ---
whereby it sucks into its system the maximum amount of telecommunications a
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 10:38:08 UTC
debate reasons for requiring fingerprinting
for driver's licenses...

But it is still a violation of the minimization requirement of the Privacy
[...]

* By Fox Butterfield, The New York Times, undated but 1996 implied.
*
* In a little known provision of the Clinton Administration's 1994 Crime
* Control Act was a call for the establishment of a nationwide DNA data
* bank like the current national system for
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 10:26:03 UTC
bill-***@sunny-daventry.invalid (Bill Godfrey) cancels <88176746647463.134%***@newsreader.com> from Direct Read News 2.90

when there are so many companies, new technologies,
so many different data formats.

I wrote 6502 assembler code for an SMDR unit (Station Message Detail
Recording), which is a computer that monitors phone call logs and attaches to
a PBX within a company and can generate long-distance expense reports by
department, person, etc. We had to write a different program interface for
every damn PBX manufacturer. The data format was different for each.

NSA's spying operations are so massive and all encompassing, and the
maintenance burden for interfacing to all the latest equipment now so high,
that they have had to come out in the open and lie lie lie to get CALEA.

We need CALEA to prevent crime and catch terrorists like a hole in the head.

----

At the same time Stafford Beer was trying to get a grip on the Chilean
economy, the U.S. was trying to destroy it.

* http://ursula.blythe.org/NameBase
*
* Uribe, Armando. The Black Book of American Intervention in Chile. Boston:
* Beacon Press, 1975. 163 pages. Translated from Spanish by Jonathan Casart.
*
* Chile is a well-documented example of covert destabilization by the U.S.,
* and NameBase includes several books on the subject. The CIA had been
* passing out money since 1964 to influence elections in Chile, but Salvador
* Allende won the presidency in 1970 anyway.
*
* Under orders from Nixon and Kissi
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 13:52:38 UTC
xnews cancel: <88176746647463.134%***@newsreader.com> posted by bill-***@sunny-daventry.invalid (Bill Godfrey)

that a cop was questioning him about. And the really
ironic part was that Cummings wasn't even the person who took the
batteries out - it was one of his friends. But he was not about to turn
a friend in for something so absurd. After all, this was a very minor
thing - he paid a fine of nearly $3,000 and was put on probation and that
was it.
When the Secret Service threw Cummings in prison for possession of a red
box in early 1995, they knew he could be screwed again when he finally
got out since being arrested is a probation violation.
And Special Agent Thomas Varney spent a great deal of effort to see that
this is exactly what happened. He made multiple trips to Easton and
convinced the local authorities to lock Cummings up as if he were the
most sadistic of killers.
On Friday, Cummings' probation officer did an aboutface and told the
court that he thought Cummings represented a very great danger to the
community. Outside the courtroom, he and the other local law enforcement
people crowded around Varney like kids surrounding a rock star. He was
their hero and maybe one day they would be just like him.
Well, isn't that strange: the Secret Service taking a strong interest in
the probation violation hearing of Ed Cummings for taking batteries out

Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 10:41:08 UTC
cancel from Pineapple News 0.8.0, article <22026516065672.045%***@newsreader.com>

use this word). The indoctrination was done by GCSB security
officer Don Allan, and consisted of a strict lecture about never, for the
rest of his life, talking about his job with anyone except other indoctrinated
people. GCSB workers are forbidden to say anything about their work, even to
their partners.

The indoctrination concluded with Holmes signing the two page indoctrination
form, which refers to New Zealand laws for punishing infringements (in the
Crimes Act) but which originates primarily in UKUSA regulations. Equivalent
forms must be signed by staff throughout the UKUSA alliance.

P44-
In the middle of 1994 Holmes got his first overseas posting - and a
prestigious one at that. He is on a three-year posting to the center of
the UKUSA alliance, the enormous NSA headquarters at Fort George G. Meade.

This posting was the first ever by a GCSB analyst to the NSA. Before he
left New Zealand his daily work, like that of all analysts, revolved entirely
around that most striking manifestation of GCSB's links with the NSA: the
ECHELON Dictionary system.

Each morning the signals intelligence analysts in New Zealand log on at their
computer terminals and enter the Dictionary system, just as their equivalents
do in the United States, the United Kingdom, Canada and Australia.

What follows is a precise description of how the system works, the first time
it has been publicly described. [Buy the book for full details]

After entering their security passwords, the analysts reach a directory that
lists the different categories of intercept available, each with a four digit
code; 4066, for instance, might be Russian fishing trawlers, 5535 Japanese
diplomatic traffic in the South Pacific, 4959 communications from South
Pacific countries and so on.

They type in the code for the category they want to use first that day.

As soon as they make a selection, a 'search result' appears, stating the
number of documents which have been found fitti
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 12:58:39 UTC
<***@newsreader.com> cancelled by bill-***@sunny-daventry.invalid (Bill Godfrey)

finance for the construction of a new building in
* Deakin, a leafy suburb of Canberra.
*
* This quite massive building was to be constructed behind an existing, much
* smaller one, which, until then, had been known to the public only as the
* "Deakin Telephone Exchange."
*
* That it was not, and never had been, simply a "telephone exchange" finally
* came to light in the 1975 JPAC Approval Report, when it admitted that the
* existing building had a comprehensive basement which housed NASA's micro-
* wave communications headquarters in Australia. Part of the justification
* of the "need" for the new, much larger building, was that by 1980, it was
* expected that NASA would run out of room in their existing home.
*
* Apart from NASA, it is now admitted that Deakin houses the National
* Computer Headquarters for, amongst others, the Australian Defense
* Department, the Australian Taxation Office, the Department of Social
* Security, the Commonwealth Department of Education, and the Department
* of Transport and Communications.
*
* Both Tax and Social Security are, in turn, directly linked to Medicare.
* In fact, the Department of Health used Social Security's computer
* facilities there until their own were completed.
*
* A small, but highly significant, part of the building is, in fact,
* occupied by Telecom. This is the part that contains the networkin
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 11:08:46 UTC
This message was cancelled from within Mozilla.

in a truck full of cocaine.

If a terrorist nuclear bomb ever goes off in this country,
it drove in from Mexico.

Meanwhile, Los Alamos National Laboratories developed technology that
allows an officer walking or driving down the street, as shown on MSNBC TV
6/9/97 www.TheSite.com, to determine whether anyone on the sidewalk is
carrying a gun.

The priorities are all out of whack.

Apply Military technology towards securing the border, not by spending
billions and billions and billions each year to secure each and every
one of us.

We don't put governing-monitors on all car engines to control speeding.
Get an Operations Research clue.

Is our government perpetuating the availability of drugs?

The 60 Minutes report sure makes it look like it is.

How could letting unchecked Mexican truck after unchecked Mexican truck
through not be?

! FBI Director Louis J. Freeh, Senate Judiciary Committee, June 4, 1997
!
! NEW CORRIDORS HAVE OPENED TO CONTINUE THE FLOOD OF DRUGS INTO AMERICA.

No shit, Sherlock! Ya don't nafta say another word.

Every single truck can be checked using Military technology.

Robots build our American cars: make a wide range of standardized "Nafta"
containers and have robots empty the trucks (obviously not tanker trucks,
that's a different robot-checking line), have the robots inspect the
containers under the scrutiny of customs agents, then reload the truck.

Here's some border securing technology:

* Los Alamos National Laboratory, http://www.esa.lanl.gov/ars/ars-home.html
*
* Acoustic Resonance Spectroscopy (ARS) is a
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 11:25:10 UTC
<***@newsreader.com> cancelled by bill-***@sunny-daventry.invalid (Bill Godfrey)

Society for Worldwide Interbank Financial
* Telecommunication (SWIFT), a not-for-profit cooperative.
*
* This system for transferring foreign exchange deposits and loans began
* actual operation in May 1977 and by 1990 had 1,812 members, and connected
* 3,049 banks and securities industry participants in eight-four countries.
*
* In 1993 SWIFT began asking users of its messaging system to include a
* purpose of payment in all messages, as well as payers, payees, and
* intermediaries. This type of arrangement would allow NSA computers
* to use keyword monitoring to scan for any names in which they were
* interested.

! FBI Director Louis J. Freeh, Senate Judiciary Committee, June 4, 1997
!
! NOT THAT LONG AGO, NO ONE PERCEIVED THAT TELEPHONE SYSTEMS COULD BECOME
! UNTAPPABLE, THE NECESSITY FOR STRONG PARTNERSHIPS BETWEEN LOCAL, STATE,
! FEDERAL AND INTERNATIONAL LAW ENFORCEMENT IS MORE URGENT.

* Electronic Privacy Information Center, http://www.epic.org
*
* "As a means of espionage, writs of assistance and general warrants
* are but puny instruments of tyranny and oppression when compared
* with wiretapping." ---Mr. Justice Brandeis, 277 U.S. 438 (6/4/1928)
*
*
* European Union and FBI launch a global surveillance system
* -------- ----- --- --- ------ - ------ ------------ ------
*
* The EU, in cooperation of the FBI of the USA, is launching a system of
* global surveillance of communications to combat "serious crime" and to
* protect "national security".
*
* But to do this they are creating a system which can monitor everyone
* and everything.
*
* At the first meeting of the new Council of Justice and Home Affairs
* Ministers in Brussels on 29-30 November 1993 they adopted the following
* Resolution on "the interception of telecommunications" which speaks for
* itself and reproduced here in full:
*
# CONFIDENTIAL MEMO
#
# "COUNCIL RESOLUTION ON THE INTERCEPTION OF TELECOMMUNICAT
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 13:43:46 UTC
going in/out of Salomon
we are checking - not internal email.
The security rule for Internet traffic is "don't send anything you
wouldn't want to read about in tomorrow's newspaper".
I think it's pretty obvious why company traffic involving company systems
is monitored. After all, companies aren't democracies.

Finally, I should point out that all the people at both sites were told
repeatedly that Internet email was being monitored; this includes all
Salomon site.
All sites start out with the employment contract stating unequivocally
that the systems are the company's and are to be used only for work
purposes. And that they are subject to inspection. You signed it.
Salomon's goes further by stating the firm's computer systems may be
audited and that they have the right to do so even if you have put
personal information on the system.
After the first couple of months of security incidents at Salomon,
they began issuing global email broadcasts saying that a new security
package "Internet Risk Management: email facility" had been installed,
and
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 10:43:39 UTC
Louis Freeh is a manipulative liar.

Louis Freeh is a Scary Man with the morals of a styrofoam cup.

National ID Card
-------- -- ----

* C-SPAN Congressional Television: outside coming down the Senate building's

Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 13:58:09 UTC
* * * * * * * * *

P468-469: Within the United States, FISA still leaves the NSA free to pull
into its massive vacuum cleaner every telephone call and message entering,
leaving, OR TRANSITING the country.

By carefully inserting the words "by the National Security Agency" into the
FISA legislation, the NSA has skillfully excluded from the coverage of the
FISA statute as well as the surveillance court all interceptions received
from the British GCHQ or any other non-NSA source.

Thus it is possible for GCHQ to monitor the necessary domestic circuits
and pass them on to the NSA through the UKUSA Agreement, giving them
impunity to target and watch-list Americans.

* * * * * * * * * *
*** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** *** ***
* * * * * * * * * *
* * * * * * * * * *

P475: Three decades after its creation, the NSA is still without a formal
charter. Instea
John Doherty
2004-11-23 07:46:44 UTC
technicians at a repair shop had found 30 pornographic
* images of children in his computer and notified the state police.
*
* The minister pleaded guilty on Monday in village court to a
* reduced obscenity count, a misdemeanor.

Of course, the Feds are not prosecuting these as misdemeanor cases.

* The New York Times, 5/10/97
* Ex-Prosecutor Indicted on Pornography Charges
*
* A former deputy district attorney who has prosecuted sex crimes has
* been indicted on child pornography charges. Peter Harned was charged
* with transporting, receiving and possessing child pornography from
* July 1995 to July 1996.
*
* Mr. Harned worked at the District Attorney's office for 11 years,
* where he handled child pornography as well as homicide cases. He
* was dismissed last summer after he was arrested on state charges
* involving child pornography. The Federal counts, which carry
* tougher penalties, will replace the state charges.
*
* The child pornography files were discovered in Mr. Harned's home
* computer when it was taken in for repair. The computer store
* alerted law enforcement officers.

Be careful what you...

----

Also, there seems to be a disagreement between citizens and
the Government over what even constitutes child pornography.

* The New York Times, 1995
* Newark, NJ, Jan 12 (AP)
*
* A judge ruled today that a father must stand trial for taking nude photos
* of his six-year-old daughter, despite the man's claim that the pictures
* were art, not pornography.
*
* The judge ruled they were not art, despite Mr. Feuer's instructor, Susan
* Klechner of the International Center of Photography in New York City,
* submitting an affidavit saying the pictures were taken for the course
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 06:02:46 UTC
alone are astounding."
*
* "This is kind of scary," said Tom Wheeler, CTIA president. "What does
* the FBI know about our future that we don't?"

----

You cannot assign people one-to-one to control everyone in a society.
But you can control society in a HIGHLY effective way using cybernetics,
and do so COST EFFECTIVELY.

That's one of the things CALEA is about, cost effectiveness of maintaining
the spying infrastructure when there are so many companies, new technologies,

that
Bill Godfrey

John Doherty
2004-11-23 09:05:01 UTC
afterwards
* identified as part of the VC infrastructure.
*
* Other testimony suggests that Colby was a bit disingenuous in these 1971
* hearings. At one point Congressman Ogden Reid pulled out a list signed by
* a CIA officer that named VC cadre rounded up in a particular action in
* 1967.
*
* "It is of some interest that on this list, 33 of the 61 names were
* women and some persons were as young as 11 and 12," noted Reid.
*
* Valentine spent four years researching this name-intensive book, and
* managed to interview over 100 Phoenix participants. If post-Vietnam
* America had ever looked into a mirror, this book might have become a
* bestseller. Instead it was published just as the Gulf War allowed us to
* resume business as usual, and went virtually unnoticed.

# The Baltimore Sun, January 27 1997
#
# Amnesty International is calling for a Congressional investigation into
# a CIA torture manual they came into possession of "Counterintelligence
# Interrogation."
#
# The comprehensive manual even includes "medical, chemical or electrical"
# tips for torturers such as "If a new safe house is to be used, the
# electric current should be known in advance so that transformers or
# other modifying devices will be on hand if needed."

: "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
:
: Without informing anyone outside the Justice Department, and only a very
: few within, the U.S. Attorney General and the FBI Director agreed upon a
: plan by which the president could suspend many of the
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:24:16 UTC
canceled <***@dupree.null.not>

you to spot which one will become the drug pusher?

That's how the government views us little people: all are potentially guilty.

The government hysteria over drugs has led to students being suspended
for having Advil, under school Zero Tolerance for drugs policy.

Reefer madness leads to Advil insanity.

It is a "gateway" madness. ;-)

No wonder kids don't respect the government's anti-drug crusades.

They are subject to random drug testing if they want to play sports.

* Boston Globe, June 12, 1997
*
* PORTSMOUTH, N.H. (AP) - A full-time plainclothes police officer and
* drug-sniffing dogs will be put to work at Portsmouth High School to
* control drug use. The plan also calls for volunteer drug testing of
* pupils and creating a Scholastic Crimeline, a tip service for the
* kids to snitch on friends, parents.

1984 means a constant State of War.

The government is totally nuts, hooking our flesh up to machines to verify
the pureness of our "precious bodily fluids" [Dr. Strangelove].

Isn't a government demand that our flesh be logically hooked together with
machines the definition of 'cyborg'?

* "The Emperor Wears No Clothes", by Jack Herer, 1992, ISBN 1-878125-00-1
*
* A new billboard has appeared in Ventura, California, promoting the
* "Zero Tolerance" campaign. It says: "Help a friend, send him to jail."

$ "Gingrich Suggests Tough Drug Measure", NYT, August 27, 1995
$
$ Speaker Gingrich said he would ask Congress to enact legislation imposing
$ the death penalty on drug smugglers, and suggested MASS EXECUTIONS of
$ people convicted under the law might prove an effective deterrent.
$
$ Mr. Gingrich told about 1,500 people at a youth football and cheerleading
$ jamboree, "And they'd have only one chance to appeal, then we'd kill them
$ within 18 months."

On January 7, 1997, Gingrich introduced H.R. 41, "Drug Importer Death Penalty
Act of 1997", which "mandates that a person convicted of
John Doherty
2004-11-23 08:51:34 UTC
Article <***@dupree.null.not> cancelled from tin [UNIX (HP-UX/B.10.20 (9000/800))]

a ship (GreenPeace!) on the shores of your country, and the
USA controlled ECHELON system failed to warn you.

Here comes the usual - GROAN: "the usual" -
PLUS a description of the basic mechanisms.

Spy tools, come 'n' get yer spy tools...a comprehensive look at ECHELON
DICTIONARY. A look at the Beast in your phone. This is the big one.

In the section after this, 'On Monitoring', I give detailed examples of
the capability of ECHELON DICTIONARY to seek out information from noise.
To pick out conversations from a massive dragnet. I even give the keyword
monitoring logic for spotting conversations of people actively searching
to leave their current job for another employer. First read this section.

*** "Secret Power" by Nicky Hager, 1996, ISBN 0-908802-35-8

GCSB is New Zealand's Government Communications Security Bureau.

P8-9
It was with some apprehension that I learned Nicky Hager was researching the
activity of our intelligence community. He has long been a pain in the
establishment's neck.

There are many things in the book with which I am familiar. I couldn't tell
him which was which. Nor can I tell you.

But it is an outrage that I and other ministers were told so little [yea NSA]
and this raises the question of to whom those concerned saw themselves
ultimately responsible.

David Lange
Prime Minister of New Zealand 1984-89
John Doherty
2004-11-23 11:10:54 UTC
canceled article <***@dupree.null.not>

such DNA biometric capture "as common as fingerprinting" and that
* they expect the test in five years to go from $700 each to a mere $10 and
* take only hours or minutes to accomplish.

----

Something odd is going on; apparently the government is building L.U.C.I.D.

# "Computer Enlisted in Drug War", By Sam Meddis, USA Today, 1/15/1990
#
# A new FBI computer will monitor the activities of suspected drug people
# and open a new era of cooperation between U.S. agencies. It will draw
# it's information from many different sources. It can respond to spoken
# commands and display SATELLITE SURVEILLANCE PHOTOS. [What??? NRO!!!]
#
# The system lists suspect's names and stores data on their cars, travel,
# businesses, phones, FAMILY RELATIONS, meetings, assets and places they
# frequent. The system WILL TRY TO PREDICT THEIR NEXT MOVE.

* "Project L.U.C.I.D.", by Texe Marrs, 1996, ISBN 1-884302-02-5
*
* Congressman Neal Smith (Iowa), in his local constituent newsletter,
* discussing the subject of handgun control, boasted:
*
* The Subcommittee on Appropriations which I chair had been actively
* pursuing an effective solution to this problem...but the program we
* are implementing will take time [i.e. rolling out fingerprinting to
* all citizens receiving government benefits, like driver's licenses,
* Medicaid, Welfare]. The solution to screening people...is to have
* a National [Identification] Center computerized so that local law
* enforcement offices can instantly access information from all states.
*
* In other words, all states would supply information to the National
* [Identification] Center, and the Center will have a positive
* identification system which will identify any applicant...
*
* That Congressman Neal Smith's unconstitutional "final solution" to gun
* control and other "crime" issues---a National
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:27:11 UTC
NewsPro 3.05 user John Doherty <***@nowhere.null.not> cancels <***@dupree.null.not>

-------------------

On Fri Oct 25 Raymond Brock sent out an email regarding "a demo" that
triggered a secondary search of his traffic. The results show he is
working on a project outside XXXXXX, with the aid of XXXXXX systems.

This report consists of:

#1 - detailed summary of findings
#2 - Brock's resume
#3 - email between Brock and his partners
#4 - sorted-unique list of sites/URLs visited
#5 - one full days WWW log

Prepared by Guy on 10/28/96.

[snip]
Back in April, Raymond Brock mailed out his resume, stating
o front-end trading system
o portfolio system daily processing
o developed interfaces to monitor and feed trade system
[snip]
Now, according to his email, he is doing a project that includes
[snip, next: HTML transferred out did this:]
PERSONAL BROKER SYSTEM (1=cash, 2=margin, 3=short)
ORDER ENTRY CONTROL (BUY, COVER SHORT, SELL, SELL SHORT)
TRADE HISTORY
: Statistics for your account are
: Liquidity Value
: Equity Percentage
: Balance after Trade
: Market Value
: Equity
: Cash Available
: Margin
: Total
: Short
[final snip]

Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 09:39:24 UTC
<31618225432641.157-***@newsreader.com> cancelled

the same time I was analyzing two Internet email feeds, I started a third.

During the five months of monitoring at Salomon, I also ran the previous
four months of Internet email (from the backups) through my analytics.

I found plenty of stuff there too.

Another major category of incidents: people in their last week at work.

In most cases from the backups, the person had already left the firm.

Even when they were still here:

********** begin excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

! 18,525 lines of proprietary YieldBook C source.
! The user is still here (voicemail answers).
! Sent to themselves, or a relative, into a college campus.
! This source is very Salomon-specific, and could not be useful
! to transmit offsite for "testing".
! It executes other programs in the YieldBook package tree, and
! needs a full setup of YieldBook to operate.
!
! Shall I do the secondary searches and an incident report?
! ---guy
!
! *********************************
! Filename: Dec_21_95/dfAA19116 Size: 522186, Dated: Dec 21 1995
! Sender: ***@bpann
! Recipient: ***@cornell.edu
! *********************************

********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

Nothing was done: I had completely overwhelmed Salomon Legal wi
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 11:04:58 UTC
InterChange (Hydra) cancel: <31618225432641.157-***@newsreader.com>

in cleartext over the Internet by Rock Transves nnn-nnnn
of Internet Client Services:

SENDER DATE ROUTER LINE PASSWORD

Rock Transves 6/27/96 09:37 bc7f7w40 [global] bs345way
[and again on] 6/26/96 16:10 con 0 bs345way
aux 0 bs345way
vty 0 qwerty0

Rock Transves 6/18/96 11:27 ard7w35 [global] z23c4v5b
trangobw1 [global] bs345way
con 0 bs345way

ALL OF THESE ROUTERS *AND* ALL ROUTERS USING THE SAME PASSWORDS
MUST HAVE THEIR PASSWORDS CHANGED.
[snip]

SECURITY INCIDENT REPORT, 7/3/96

OASYS SOURCE CODE:

38,696 PROPRIETARY LINES

--------------------------------

This is a security incident report regarding the Internet (a public wire)
traffic of Salomon Brothers, which is monitored for security/compliance.

On Jul 3 1996, sara xxxxxxxxx of XXX-NJ emailed over the unprotected
Internet 38,696 lines of OASYS C++ code to vendor RogueWave for tech support

This code was clearly marked:

" This SOFTWARE is proprietary and confidential to \n"
" SALOMON BROTHERS INC. and may not be duplicated, \n"
" disclosed to third parties or used for any purpose \n"
" not expressly authorized by Salomon Brothers Inc.. \n"
" Any unauthorized use duplication or disclosure is \n"
" prohibited by law and will result in prosecution. \n";
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 09:45:52 UTC
bill-***@sunny-daventry.invalid (Bill Godfrey) canceled <31618225432641.157-***@newsreader.com>

in
* the state to censor the rest of the week's cartoons as a public service.
*
* No one followed the Attorney General's request.

Other Federal and state government officials were SHOCKED that
it passed and made angry noises and tried to interfere.

* The New York Times, Aug 29 1996, Ventura, California, By Katharine Seelye
* "Dole Criticizes Clinton as Lax On a Policy to Combat Drugs"
*
* Dole, speaking out against Proposition 215, which would allow marijuana
* to be used as medicine: "If somebody, say from Mexico or any other country,
* aimed a missile at California, you would do something about it. And they're
* aiming millions and millions of missiles right at these young people right
* here, whether it's a needle, whether it's a cigarette, whatever the delivery
* system is. It's poison [at least it's not paraquat!], and it's got to stop
* in America. My view is that drugs are wrong, you shouldn't use drugs, you
* shouldn't smoke cigarettes---let's just throw them all out at the same
* time."
*
* Mr. Dole later q
Bill Godfrey
2004-11-23 09:37:27 UTC
Canceled by bill-***@sunny-daventry.invalid (Bill Godfrey)

of the FBI, said the FBI has developed an
# artificial intelligence system, called Big Floyd, that can analyze
# thousands of disparate financial transactions and establish links
# between seemingly unconnected suspects.
#
# The same artificial intelligence methodology will be used to establish
# links in terrorism, white-collar crime, intelligence breaches, and violent
# crimes with common clues or techniques.

Cybernetic control of society.

Everything on-line and monitored in real-time.

: From: "EPIC-News" <epic-***@epic.org>
: Date: 05 Jun 1997 19:01:58 -0400
: Subject: EPIC: Clinton Endorses Privacy Rights
:
: In a commencement address at Morgan State University on May 18,
: President Clinton called privacy "one of our most cherished freedoms"
: and said that technology should not "break down the wall of privacy and
: autonomy free citizens are guaranteed in a free society."

Is President Clinton being honest?

He supports Clipper III and ECHELON's legal domestic extension CALEA.

The Washington Post, July 7, 1996: the Clinton Administration has sharply
increased use of Federal telephone wiretaps and other electronic surveillance
and officials estimate it will continue to grow.

What do you think?

Whitfield Diffie, Distinguished Engineer---Security at Sun Microsystems:

"An essential element of freedom is the right to privacy, a right that
cannot be expected to stand against an unremitting technological attack."

One cannot come up with a more 'unremitting technological attack'
than what is happening now.
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:37:48 UTC
-- and some proposed bills say that the cops
: may not even need a search warrant to seize it.
: [snip]
:
: What about the penalties for "unauthorized
: breaking of another's encryption codes?" That
: would criminalize cryptanalysis, the way to verify
: the security of encryption software you buy. "The
: only way to know the strength of a cipher is
: cryptanalysis," says Marc Briceno, a
: cryptography guru at Community ConneXion.
:
: Then there's Kerrey's statement saying "there
: will be" restrictions on what encryption products
: you're permitted to buy from overseas firms. This
: contradicts Justice Department official Michael
: Vatis, who told me at a conference this year that
: the Clinton administration did not want import
: controls. Though Cabe Franklin, spokesperson
: for Trusted Information Systems, says Kerrey was
: misunderstood. "In the briefing afterwards, I found
: out he didn't mean that at all. He meant import
: controls, but more regulation than restriction. The
: same way they wouldn't let a car with faulty
: steering controls in the country. He meant more
: quality control," Franklin says. (I don't know
: about you, but I'm not convinced.)
[
What a bunch of hooey.
]
:
: Kerrey's sudden interest in cryptologic arcana
: likely stems from a recent addition to his staff:
: policy aide Chris McLean.
:
: McLean is hardly a friend of the Net. While in
:
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:26:01 UTC
IRS officials have stated on several
occasions over the last few years that the day when the
overwhelming number of taxpayers could have their taxes calculated
automatically was not very far in the future.
]
* Again, telling people to get a "social security" number was
* about CONTROL, not "protecting" us. Who is in control now? (Did you
* know you are not REQUIRED to have or use a social security number by ANY
* law?)
*
* Being required to pay money to the state for these licenses means
* that licensing is also another form of TAX. Did YOU get to vote on
* whether the police could "require" you to give up your fingerprints and
* private information or put any of that on a "license" in a bar-code, or
* put it in their computers? NO? Neither did the Alabama legislature.
* THAT IS TAXATION WITHOUT REPRESENTATION.
*
* If DPS gets by with this, the information on your driver's license
* will be "scanned" into a computer and stored. The police can find out
* anyplace you use your driver's license -- where you bank, how often,
* where you shop, what you buy, where you go -- anyplace your driver's
* license is used for "i.d." and is "scanned". Every store you do
* business with can ALSO store all this informat
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:44:47 UTC
' alive...

So, "statistical filtration for all homeostatic loops" means one is checking
on the health of the monitored system.

The cybernetician uses the same language for feedback of weapons systems
(picking out a submarine from the background noise of the ocean) as they
do for describing human life, as they do for the political organization
of a country.

Like I said, an awesome scope.

Norbert Wiener even came up with a physics-based
description of how life is formed by information.

Check it out. Hang in there too, it's worth it.

* "Platform for Change", by Stafford Beer, 1978, ISBN 0 471 06189 1
*
* The term 'entropy' began life as a subtle measure of energy flow.
*
* When something hotter is systemically bound to something cooler, the
* greater energy of the hotter stuff migrates---inexorably migrates---
* into the cooler stuff. This is one manifestation of the Second Law of
* Thermodynamics, which everyone of education has encountered.
*
* This is sometimes referred to as 'the universe is running down'.

Okay, 'entropy', yeah I remember that kinda. Keep going:

Our solar system is a lot of matter that is NOT sitting in a situation of
entropy: the sun is radiating heat at the planets. Instead of just matter
smoothing out to a common low-energy state, a burning fireball is at work.

Cybernetics states that under conditions
like this, matter does something special.

* "Platform for Change", by Stafford Beer, 1978, ISBN 0 471 06189 1
*
* If we have a universe, which is improbable though it exists, it is
* because the Second Law of Thermodynamics has two forms. One is conc
John Doherty
2004-11-23 10:13:18 UTC
nn cancel: <***@dupree.null.not>

asked the White House for $27 million in public funds to
* pay the engineering whizzes at the Sandia and Los Alamos National
* Laboratories and several other government research facilities to develop
* ways to defeat "any locking system whether it be mechanical or electronic,
* or computer supplemented."
[snip]
*
* The FBI's Rapid Prototyping Facility (RPF) is a laboratory and factory
* dedicated to the design and manufacture of "unique miniaturized devices in
* direct support of various investigative efforts" of the "FBI and other
* members of the U.S. law enforcement community."
*
* Operated jointly by the FBI and the Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research
* Projects Agency (DARPA, creators of the Internet), the FBI facility was
* created to allow the bureau "to use computer-aided design, engineering
* and manufacturing of tools and equipment (software and firmware
* respectively) to design, simulate, and fabricate integrated circuits,
* printed circuit boards, electronic components, packages, systems and
* concealments in a quick turnaround cost-effective manner."
*
* Among the facilities advantages are speed "through the use of laser
* restructuring, high-density interconnect, and reverse milling capability,"
* and a capability "to produce an integrated microphone ('microphone on a
* chip') in a single design/fabrication process."
*
* For many years, the FBI had been placing secret microphones on street-
* lamps, telep
John Doherty
2004-11-23 14:00:46 UTC
John Doherty <***@nowhere.null.not> removes <***@dupree.null.not> from SNews

of ECHELON
keyword monitoring. A detailed example --- how to use
keywords to pick out conversations of interest --- is given.
I also put forth a case of what it means to be monitored
heavily by the government.

o Part 3: 1984 Means a Constant State of War

The politics of war, and the Orwellian tactics employed by
by the U.S. Government to control its citizens.

o Part 4: Why unlimited cryptography must be legislated NOW

In additional to the reasons given in the previous sections,
the 'debate' reasons constantly given by the government
are reviewed and debunked. And our nation's experts say it
will hurt security. The GAO says the same thing.

o Part 5: There is no part five.

o Part 6: Louis Freeh & The Creeping Police State

Basically, Louis Freeh is the anti-Christ leading us to Hell.
National ID cards are effectively being implemented without
needing to issue cards. The U.S. Government is trying to
monitor all phone calls and banking transactions, and have
all equipment worldwide designed for their monitoring. They
are bent on controlling the world to the point of there being
no crime left on the planet. Of course, democracy destroyed
is the direct result.

----

This publication advocates five major items:

o Passage of ProCode/SAFE legislation, allowing U.S. companies to
export unlimited strength cryptography, free from "Key Recovery".
Key Recovery means messages are no longer a secret, because the
Government has screwed around with it.

o Killing the CALEA legislation, which orders all commu
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:03:44 UTC
article <***@dupree.null.not> cancelled by slrn/0.9.7.4 (Linux)

is safe to say this directly contributed to the burning and subsequent
death of Betty Shabazz. A distraught, torn, ten-year-old suffering the
effects of this persecution.

He had been taken away from his mother because of Fitzpatrick.

NBC Newschannel 4 NY, on the death of Betty Shabazz:

"Police say the boy was upset he couldn't live with his mother."

Kunstler forced the Government to drop its case...

* "...Shabazz...", The New York Times, June 8 1997
*
* Prosecutors dropped the case when it became
* clear she had NOT committed to the crime.

..and instead settle for her getting professional counseling.

Mainly to recover from what Mr. Fitzpatrick and the FBI did to her.

Mr. Fitzpatrick was paid $45,000 of our tax money for his services.

Mr. Fitzpatrick is a cocaine addict.

Remember, it's the 1990s now: same as it ever was.

American citizens are just pawns to be manipulated
by the U.S. intelligence and law enforcement agencies.

Dirt.

Or worse.

* "Above the Law", by David Burnham, ISBN 0-684-80699-1, 1996
*
* At 4:00 A.M. on December 4, 1969, for example, a special fourteen-man
* squad of Chicago police officers raided a house used by the Black
* Panther Party. During the shoot-first-ask-questions-later raid, police
* fired at least ninety-eigh
John Doherty
2004-11-23 13:30:03 UTC
Canceled by John Doherty <***@nowhere.null.not>

will explain that in their coverage.

The sole purpose of the McCain bill was to protect ECHELON.

# "The McCain Mutiny", By Todd Lappin, Wired Magazine, June 1997
#
# Question: How will we break the stalemate between the interests of
# industry and law enforcement in setting cryptographic policy?
#
# McCain: It's pretty clear that the administration's crypto proposals
# will have a harmful effect upon the industry. But we can't completely
# ignore the warnings we get from the heads of the FBI and the National
# Security Agency. We need to find a middle ground or else the president
# will veto the crypto bill and I doubt we can override the veto.

I am sure Senator McCain has no idea what the NSA is really doing.

Noone told him about domestic ECHELON, or how powerful keyword monitoring is.

War #4 - Terrorism
--- -- ---------

Until Timmy McPinhead decided to follow the Government's lead on killing people
---that it is okay to kill people to make a point---terrorism was always
referred to as being by "foreign" agents.

After the explosion, President Clinton called for FBI agents to be able to
tap phones at will, as they can do now for organized
John Doherty
2004-11-23 11:49:33 UTC
The court has never formally rejected an application. Not once.
*
* For the first time in modern U.S. history, the Congress had
* institutionalized a process for physical searches outside of
* Fourth Amendment standards.
*
* Not even Congress' intelligence oversight committees review these
* special cases on a regular basis.

Mini-recap:

o Congress voted into existence a court that bypasses our normal
Fourth Amendment constitutional rights. Poof they're gone.

# Your letter of February
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:54:59 UTC
SIGINT - Signals Intelligence = NSA = electronic snooping

Key Recovery - See GAK.

C-SPAN - Two cable channels dedicated to broadcasting both houses of
Congress and other U.S. governmental functions.

DEA - U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration
DIA - U.S. Pentagon Defense Intelligence Agency
DIA - U.S. Drug Interdiction Agency (older)

FBI - U.S. Federal Bureau of Investigation

BATF - U.S. Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and Firearms

UKUSA - pronounced 'you-koo-za' - a secret wartime treaty that says
member nations can spy on each others population without
warrants or limits, and that this can be shared with the
spied-on country's SIGINT agency.

PGP - Free and unbreakable encryption, available world-wide.

CISPES - Committee in Solidarity with the People of El Salvador

"Ultra-secret" agencies:

NSA - U.S. National Security Agency

GCHQ - British Government Communications Headquarters

CSE - Canada's Communications Security Establishment

DSD - Australian Defense Signals Directorate

GCSB - New Zealand's Government Communications Security Bureau

Main()
----

Using mainly publicly available material, here is my documentation of:

o Part 1: Massive Domestic Spying via NSA ECHELON

This is highly detailed documentation of NSA spying.
This spying is illegal, massive, and domestic.
The documentation is comprehensive,
John Doherty
2004-11-23 13:18:33 UTC
o Further exclusion logic (keywords) to isolate the meaning of the
keyword 'resume' to mean job history. Also, UK people say 'CV'.
Example: do NOT allow a sentence fragment like 'resume playing'
to trigger "resume condition" inclusion.

That's how it is done.

I then sit at a terminal and page through a
summary of the results, looking for 'hits'.

That's how DICTIONARY works too.

* The Puzzle Palace, Author James Bamford, 1983 revision
*
* P496-497: You would put in a whole slew of keywords.
* You flip through the results.

And it's damn effective.

I could pick needles out of a haystack. I could find a 16-line Risk Management
report in Salomon's daily 150-230 megabytes of Internet email traffic. It took
only one word: 'risk', and lots of exclusion logic, because the word is used
lots. I had never seen that format of risk report before. It was incoming too.

It sure didn't look like much, but...

The head of Risk Management at Salomon Brothers (real name) replied:

* From ***@sbi Wed Jun 19 03:27:55 1996
* Date: Wed, 19 Jun 96 03:27:40 EDT
* To: ***@doppelganger
* Subject: Re: Risk Mgmt Report?
* From: ***@sbi (Richard Bookstaber)
*
* This is proprietary risk/position information.
* Please let me know the circ
John Doherty
2004-11-23 13:11:56 UTC
has never been officially acknowledged by any country
even today.

P271: Sharing seats alongside the NSA operators, at least in some areas,
are SIGINT specialists from Britain's Government Communications Headquarters
(GCHQ). According to a former Menwith Hill official, the two groups work
very closely together.

P229: David Watters, a telecommunications engineer once attached to the
CIA's communications research and development branch, pulls out a microwave
routing map of the greater Washington area and jabs his index finger at a
small circle with several lines entering it and the letters NSA. "There's
your smoking pistol right here." Watters says it is tied into the local
telephone company circuits, which are interconnected with the national
microwave telephone system owned by AT&T. Other specialists testified to
the same thing: purely domestic intercepts.

P223: "Technical know-how" for microwave communications intercept was
aided by William Baker, head of AT&T's Bell Laboratories and at the
same time an important member of the very secret NSA Scientific Advisory
Board. After all, it was Bell Labs under Baker that, to a great extent,
developed and perfected the very system that the NSA hoped to penetrate.

[
"The Rise of the Computer State", David Burnham, 1984, ISBN 0-394-72375-9
"A Chilling Account of the Computer's Threat to Society"

John Doherty
2004-11-23 13:34:22 UTC
my current project is nearing a critical point. But my Salomon boss
said just do a handoff now and leave.
I am upset. I was trying to be professional.
Boy, email is one cheap detective!

Anyway, that seems the full scoop.

---guy

********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

Notice my 'Boy, email is one cheap detective!' observation; Legal had talked
about hiring a private investigator prior to that.

The "perp" not only named his new job, he gave his full job description,
pay rates, and his personal thoughts on matters.

The case was accepted by NYC Assistant US Prosecutor Jeremy Temkin - the
person assigned the Citibank wire-transfer theft. He said they never figured
out who the inside person was.

The interesting thing was that it turns out the people who investigate for the
US attorneys are FBI agents. Every meeting we had included a couple FBI agents
taking notes and turns questioning.

The nice FBI personnel I dealt with were from the New York Computer Crime
Squad. Special Agents Steven N. Garfinkel and David P. Marziliano.

This posting isn't about the many good FBI and other law enforcement people.

Sorry.

The other FBI case involved transfer of Salomon technology to the ISP account
of an employee who had ac
John Doherty
2004-11-23 12:19:11 UTC
********** end excerpt from 'Corruption at Salomon Brothers' **********

So...how have I done, to indicate how powerful keyword monitoring is?

NSA employees would go to jail for ten years for describing the effectiveness
of DICTIONARY's keyword monitoring.

I am not an NSA employee.

I wrote it myself.
P48, "Secret Power", by Nicky Hager
The best set of keywords for each subject category is worked out over time,
in part by experimentation.
The staff sometimes trial a particular set of keywords for a period of time
John Doherty
2004-11-23 13:57:48 UTC
son, Mark, who was said to have received a 10 million Pound commission.

The former employee of the British Joint Intelligence Committee, Robin
Robison, broke his indoctrination oaths and told the Observer that, as
part of his job, which involved sorting intelligence reports from the
British intelligence agencies, he personally forwarded GCHQ transcripts
of intercepted communications about Lonrho to Mrs. Thatcher's office.

P9
Intelligence is not just neutral information; it can be powerful and
dangerous. Intelligence gathering and military force are two sides of
the same coin. Both are used by countries and groups within countries to
advance their interests, often at the expense of others. To influence or
defeat an opponent, knowledge can be more useful than military force.

The type of intelligence described in this book, signals intelligence
(SIGINT), is the largest, most secret and most expensive source of secret
intelligence in the world today.

P-5655
Like the British examples, and Mike Frost's Canadian examples, these stories
will only be the tip of the iceberg.

There is no evidence of a UKUSA code of ethics or a tradition of respect